Use mdutils in Proxmox VE 2.1

lxfriend1

Apr 30, 2012
Hi all,
first thank you for a great software and the new release.:p

I added two more disks in my machine and would like to use them in a software raid setup. However mdutils are not provided by default so I tried to install them:

root@build2:~# apt-cache showpkg mdadm
Package: mdadm
Versions:

Reverse Depends:
udev,mdadm 3.0-3
grub-common,mdadm 2.6.7-2
Dependencies:
Provides:
Reverse Provides:

root@build2:~# apt-get install mdadm
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package mdadm is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'mdadm' has no installation candidate

Sorry, this might just be a very simple thing

Ok,
I found an old thread about software raids and understand that proxmox ve is not really supporting this. Is this still correct ? And is this the reason for my problem ?
In the thread they described that the way around it would be install a debian and add the proxmox packets on top

Meanwhile I downgraded to Proxmox VE 2.0, there it works (after doing an apt-get update) I can install the mdadm package. I am sure I tried the same thing (apt-get update) with the VE 2.1 as well. Result was: No updates have been loaded and the apt-get install mdadm failed again with the same error message. Thank you for your help.

Meanwhile I downgraded to Proxmox VE 2.0, there it works (after doing an apt-get update) I can install the mdadm package. I am sure I tried the same thing (apt-get update) with the VE 2.1 as well. Result was: No updates have been loaded and the apt-get install mdadm failed again with the same error message. Thank you for your help.

What you claim is not possible, both 2.0 and 2.1 use exactly the same repositories.

Ok, I will retest the whole thing again and report the results

I am also interested in doing software RAID 1 in Proxmox VE 2.x and want to know if possible or help to work properly.

I hope to hear from you.

Best regards
Cesar

I am also interested in doing software RAID 1 in Proxmox VE 2.x and want to know if possible or help to work properly.

I hope to hear from you.

Best regards
Cesar

yes , it worked , i just done it , Thanks.

You could try this instruction http://blog.tugov.pro/2012/05/proxmoxve-2-raid1.html it's in Russian, but very simple. I've tried it today and it works smooth =) If you have any questions ask please.

Hello 6opo9a

I have a few questions if you let me:

1 - Since the date these using "Proxmox VE" with Soft_RAID1
2 - How many VMs KVM have into Host with Soft_RAID1?
3 - How many VMs in containers into Host with Soft_RAID1?
4- I want to use: Soft_RAID1 + DRBD into the LAN, then you've tested with this combination?
5 - Have you had any problems?

I would greatly appreciate your honest opinion, because I am thinking of putting it into production.

Best Regards
Cesar

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!