Removed my cluster configuration and all my CT's disappeared...!

Riverman

Dec 20, 2010
Hi,
I need to recover VEID.conf for all my CTs! Any idea how to do this?

I've installed pve 2.x on one server. Then I backup all CT and used SCP to move them to the new server. Everything worked great. I then installed pve 2.x on the old server and then tried to make a cluster of them both, but all CT and VM disappeared! Unfortunately multi-casting was disabled in the switch...

It was probably now I made my mistake to remove the cluster to make it work separately...

I did this to remove the cluster:
Code:
service cman stop
service pve-cluster stop
rm /etc/cluster/cluster.conf
rm -rf /var/lib/pve-cluster/*
service pve-cluster start
service cman start 
rm /root/.ssh/authorized_key

All CT and VM are running and working perfect, but I can't find any of them i GUI or any config-files like 100.conf... locate-command thinks they are at /etc/pve/nodes/vs2/openvz/100.conf but no files are to be found. So I guess that after reboot they are gone totally!?

I had to delete the backup files because of lack of disk space.

Is there anything I can do to save running openvz ct's? Their files system seams to intact at: /var/lib/vz/private/100?

What action can I take to save these CT's?

Code:
root@vs2:/# pveversion -v
pve-manager: 2.0-57 (pve-manager/2.0/ff6cd700)
running kernel: 2.6.32-11-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 2.0-65
pve-kernel-2.6.32-11-pve: 2.6.32-65
lvm2: 2.02.88-2pve2
clvm: 2.02.88-2pve2
corosync-pve: 1.4.1-1
openais-pve: 1.1.4-2
libqb: 0.10.1-2
redhat-cluster-pve: 3.1.8-3
resource-agents-pve: 3.9.2-3
fence-agents-pve: 3.1.7-2
pve-cluster: 1.0-26
qemu-server: 2.0-37
pve-firmware: 1.0-15
libpve-common-perl: 1.0-25
libpve-access-control: 1.0-17
libpve-storage-perl: 2.0-17
vncterm: 1.0-2
vzctl: 3.0.30-2pve2
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.0.12-3
pve-qemu-kvm: 1.0-9
ksm-control-daemon: 1.1-1

Could I create a CT and then use the (veid).conf file and change names and paths and save with new name matching one of my running cts?

Best regards,
Måns

Last edited:
rm -rf /var/lib/pve-cluster/*

This removes the whole database - so you have effectively deleted the whole configuration.

Could I create a CT and then use the (veid).conf file and change names and paths and save with new name matching one of my running cts?

Yes, you can try that (change the VEID).

Thanks for your answers!

I had a feeling that I was effective :)

What do you think about following solution?

The old server is running in meanwhile.

1) At a NEW server; I created all CTs with correct template and settings (with same veid as the old once) in a separate network.

2) I'm copying the /var/lib/vz/private folder with: rsync -arvpz --numeric-ids -e ssh root@192.168.4.143:/var/lib/vz/private/* . to the new server and will be merged into the new created CTs..

[Above is done or happening just now]

3) Before I start the CTs I unplug the network cable from the old server and connect it to the new one (I assume that its good not to have multiply CTs with the same IP).

4) If it works I connect the new server.

5) With crossed finger I hope it work!

I'm not totally sure about the differences of private and root directories. But what I understand I only need to copy private directory and the root will be created when the CT starts, is that correct? Or should I copy both?

Thanks again for all input!

/Måns

Last edited:
I'm not totally sure about the differences of private and root directories. But what I understand I only need to copy private directory and the root will be created when the CT starts, is that correct?

Yes, you only need to copy 'private'.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!