Issues with Network Stability on Windows Server 2008 KVM

J

jesterfett

Problem: Running Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard 64bit in KVM Environment. At random times the kvm networking just seems to go belly-up. Server wont respond to pings. Have to use VNC console to log into server and Disable/Enable Network Adapter and then it works fine until the next outage. Occurs with both the virtio and e1000 network drivers. Windows event viewer shows no issues.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

# root@somecomputer(pts/1) ~
pveversion -v
pve-manager: 1.9-26 (pve-manager/1.9/6567)
running kernel: 2.6.32-6-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 1.9-55
pve-kernel-2.6.32-4-pve: 2.6.32-33
pve-kernel-2.6.32-6-pve: 2.6.32-55
qemu-server: 1.1-32
pve-firmware: 1.0-14
libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-19
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.29-3pve1
vzdump: 1.2-16
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 0.15.0-2
ksm-control-daemon: 1.0-6

I have downloaded the latest drivers for Server 2008 R2 64-bit from Intel. It is now provided as an executable. If I run the .exe and attempt to update the drivers, the GUI installer indicates: "Cannot install drivers. No Intel(R) Adapter are present in this computer".

Any idea how to extract the drivers from the .exe?

Last edited by a moderator:
There are no Intel drivers for win2008r2. Drivers are included in Ms.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9000

Hi Tom,

I was under the impression that the updated drivers are located here: http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/CS-006120.htm

and that the executable that you download includes all the drivers for the e1000 pro series of adapter drivers. I have come across a few other forum posts on here that folks have "Downloaded the lasteds e1000 drivers from Intel" but they never provide a url from where they got them.

Thank you for the quick response.

I have downloaded the latest drivers for Server 2008 R2 64-bit from Intel. It is now provided as an executable. If I run the .exe and attempt to update the drivers, the GUI installer indicates: "Cannot install drivers. No Intel(R) Adapter are present in this computer".

Any idea how to extract the drivers from the .exe?

7-zip will allow you to extract the files from the exe file (just tested it).

bsnipes,

thank you much for the suggestion worked like a charm. Now on to see if they make the adapter more stable.

Hi Tom,

I was under the impression that the updated drivers are located here: http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/CS-006120.htm

and that the executable that you download includes all the drivers for the e1000 pro series of adapter drivers. I have come across a few other forum posts on here that folks have "Downloaded the lasteds e1000 drivers from Intel" but they never provide a url from where they got them.

Thank you for the quick response.

You need to download the Intel driver only if you run WinXP or Win2003. But I use always virtio anyways.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!