installation failure because of grub-install error (embedding is not possible)

bunjes

Apr 12, 2012
Hello,

our proxmox 2 installation on a HP ProLiant Server fails with the error message "unable to install the boot loader".
Details:
# chroot /target /usr/sbin/grub-install --no-floppy '(hd0)'
/usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn: This msdos-style partition label has no post-MBR gap; embedding won't be possible
/usr/sbin/grub-setup: error: embedding is not possible, but this is required for cross-disk install.
unable to install the boot loader
# umount /target/boot

Booting from the super-grub2-disk as suggested elsewhere did not help, since this tool doesn't find any grub configuration.

Error occurs no matter if the two internal drives are configured as hardware-raid or not.

Any help is highly appreciated.

All the best,

Friedemann

Yes, the embedded HP SmartArray B110i SATA RAID Controller that manages the local disks is at position 1 in the boot order.

RESOLVED: inst. failure because of grub-install error (embedding is not possible)

boot from CD, and type 'pveboot' at the boot prompt - that should boot into the existing installation.

Hi,

I booted into the fresh installation with the pveboot command as suggested.
I then ran upgrade-from-grub-legacy and selected my disk /dev/sda.

Thanks the help!

Best,

Friedemann

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!