KVM CPU Limits

When you are creating a VM and it asks about cores .. If you give the VM 1 core .. it can only use one physical core, this is the way I understand it.

When you are creating a VM and it asks about cores .. If you give the VM 1 core .. it can only use one physical core, this is the way I understand it.

That is not limiting the CPU to a certain amount of units or amount per core.

when we use 100% of 1 core, it raises the CPU usage to around 20% on a 16core AMD CPU.

XEN/VMware you can limit it to a certain amount of Ghz and that won't happen.

Last edited:
From what I understand you can not limit each cpu. You can add weight to a vm so it has more or less priority over CPU time. This really only comes into play (from what I understand) if the Physical cpu is over a certain usage percent. there is some DOCS about it here http://pve.proxmox.com/pve2-api-doc/ expand nodes, qemu, vmid and click on config then put

From what I understand you can not limit each cpu. You can add weight to a vm so it has more or less priority over CPU time. This really only comes into play (from what I understand) if the Physical cpu is over a certain usage percent. there is some DOCS about it here http://pve.proxmox.com/pve2-api-doc/ expand nodes, qemu, vmid and click on config then put

I'm guessing.

cpunits: 100 = 10%
cpuunits: 1000 = 100%

That is per core ?

I suggest you read through the WIKI to understand better. But you can limit a VM to the power of one physical CPU. Not less. Now if the Physical cpu useage gets high you can give some VM's more priority over CPU time. But you can not limit a VM to less power. Now i am not a expert but this is how I understand it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!