Running OpenVZ from MooseFS

I have been running MooseFS on my small Proxmox cluster (5 hosts) for almost a year now.
My MooseFS share is set up as a directory - shared storage.

Performance is great so far.
Two of the Proxmox Hosts function as MooseFS chunk servers without any noticeable problems (just to see if it would work)

I would like to be able to use the MooseFS snapshot feature for backups on the shared storage, but I have not had the time to figure out how.

I am hosting several Windows 2008 and 2008 SR2 servers, including a Microsoft SQL server 2012, also several Debian servers and a BackupPC server that backs up all our workstations. All the drive images of these servers are on the MooseFS shared storage.

I have been running MooseFS on my small Proxmox cluster (5 hosts) for almost a year now.
My MooseFS share is set up as a directory - shared storage.

Performance is great so far.
Two of the Proxmox Hosts function as MooseFS chunk servers without any noticeable problems (just to see if it would work)

I would like to be able to use the MooseFS snapshot feature for backups on the shared storage, but I have not had the time to figure out how.

mfsmakesnapshot /path/to/folder /path/to/snapshotfolder

if you want to overwrite just use -o option

mfsmakesnapshot -o /path/to/folder /path/to/snapshotfolder

the snapshot must reside in a moosefs mounted folder, but cannot be a subfolder of the snapshoted folder (eg: you cannot snapshot /folder in /folder/.snapshot, you must snapshot it in /folder_snapshot)

I am hosting several Windows 2008 and 2008 SR2 servers, including a Microsoft SQL server 2012, also several Debian servers and a BackupPC server that backs up all our workstations. All the drive images of these servers are on the MooseFS shared storage.

Maybe OT, but shurely MooseFS related :

I'm having issues of disk trashing by SQL server machine (running express edition) writing lots of small random (that totally degradates MFS performance), can you tell me if you used some particular setting for MooseFS or anything in the win machines?

I use virtio storage drivers with cache=none,io=native ... I've tried to SSD cache MFS chunkservers with enanche_io but no luck.

do you think I must upgrade to SQL standard to solve the issue or is it possible to solve it by MooseFS config?

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe OT, but shurely MooseFS related :

I'm having issues of disk trashing by SQL server machine (running express edition) writing lots of small random (that totally degradates MFS performance), can you tell me if you used some particular setting for MooseFS or anything in the win machines?

I use virtio storage drivers with cache=none,io=native ... I've tried to SSD cache MFS chunkservers with enanche_io but no luck.

do you think I must upgrade to SQL standard to solve the issue or is it possible to solve it by MooseFS config?

Sorry for the extremely late reply...

My MSSQL server's drive settings are as follows:
Format=raw, cache=Writethrough
MFS Goal for drive has been set to 4 (I have added several chunk servers since initial install)
IO performance on latest MFS (2.0.27) is exceptional
All servers and chunk servers are on Gigabit Ethernet with 6 Gigabit backbone between switches.

I detect no issues on the SQL server

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!