How to make mounted external drives visible to appliances (and to Proxmox itself?)

J

jfontana

I'm running Proxmox VE 2.0 on an HP Proliant microserver. I mounted an external drive by accessing as root via ssh. Everything seems to be fine there and I can see all the folders in the mounted drive doing 'ls' from the terminal.

I'm at a loss as to how to manage this external drive via the Proxmox GUI. The external drive doesn't show up in any of the nodes. That's not the most important thing, though. Basically what I want is to be able to connect to this external drive from the different appliances I have installed in the VE. When I get into the appliances I have no way to see the external drive. When I use VirtualBox I am always able to connect to the external drives from any of the VMs. With appliances in the Proxmox VE, though, I don't see how one can do this. I would really appreciate it if someone could lend me a hand. Thanks in advance for your help.

JM

Re: How to make mounted external drives visible to appliances (and to Proxmox itself?

Ok i have it working now i put this in /etc/var/vz/conf/202.mount not sure if openvz/proxmox uses variables so i hard coded everything not very elegant, but im not a coder. If someone could point me to a better or more correct script that would be cool however it tested this with a reboot of pve host and a reboot of the container both work perfectly mounting and umounting. I have not found which log this shows up in yet to check for errors and the like.

#!/bin/bash
source /etc/vz/vz.conf
#source ${VE_CONFFILE}
#echo "Starting ${VEID}.mount..."
echo "Starting 202.mount..."
#mount --bind /usr/local/backups/backuppc ${VE_ROOT}/var/lib/backuppc
mount --bind /usr/local/backups/backuppc /var/lib/vz/root/202/var/lib/backuppc
echo "...202.mount complete"

here is the recommeded 202.umount script
root@sun:/home/c0mputerking# vi /etc/vz/conf/202.umount
#!/bin/bash
source /etc/vz/vz.conf
source ${VE_CONFFILE}
echo "Starting ${VEID}.umount..."
umount ${VE_ROOT}/var/lib/backuppc
echo "...${VEID}.umount done"

Re: How to make mounted external drives visible to appliances (and to Proxmox itself?

OK. Thanks Computerking. I'll try to implement your solution. It looks like this was something that was quite easier to accomplish with the previous version (v1.9) of Proxmox.

JM

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!