Time running fast after upgrading to PVE 2 final

stuntshell

Nov 18, 2009
Today after upgrading my cluster to the final release, one of the virtual machines is having the time running too fast.
This is a RedHat 5.5 and time/localzone is set correct. This was working fine before the upgrade.

I have tried a couple of different solutions, but none have worked:
cat /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/current_clocksource
I tried:
kvm-clock
pit
tsc
jiffies

I also tried setting the different parameters in grub menu.lst and reboot.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have the same problem on my two Windows Guests (1x Windows 2008 Server R2 and 1x Windows 7 x64), the clock is about 5mins+ faster. On two Linux Guests i have a delay on the Guest which is 4-6secs.

The Time on the Host is correct.

I tried the "no-kvm-pit-reinjection"-Paramenter on the Windows7 Guest, but the problem still exists.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
f.

Hi,
for windows vm, are you sure to have choose windows vm type ? (just to be sure ;)

also could you check in monitor that you have:

#info qtree

line ->
dev: mc146818rtc, id ""
dev-prop: lost_tick_policy = slew

for linux vm this is strange with kvm-clock you are normally always synced. (but maybe redhat 5.5 doesn't have kvm-clock ?
could you provide
cat /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/available_clocksource from your redhat 5.5 ?

Hi,
for windows vm, are you sure to have choose windows vm type ? (just to be sure ;)

also could you check in monitor that you have:

#info qtree

line ->
dev: mc146818rtc, id ""
dev-prop: lost_tick_policy = slew

it's "Microsoft Windows 7/2008r2 (win7)". Time was correct with PVE 1.9, i have this problem since the upgrade to 2.0.

The Parameter is correct.

Any other ideas?
:confused:

still the same issue :(

Next week i will setup a new pve-host with 2.0-from-scratch and attach the guest there to check if there's the same problem.

Maybe there's another option... :mad:

Thanks in advance!

I have a Win 2008 R2 VM running on 2.0, did nothing special and its time is not drifting.
In the config file it has: ostype: win7

Had an old Centos KVM VM, time was about 2x faster than real time on 2.0 Release. Disabled ACPI for it and now it works fine.
This was not an issue during RC1, only became an issue after the release and I upgraded.
Something changed in the last update to cause this.

Both VMs running on the same hardware:
model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU W3680 @ 3.33GHz

i see ;)

I am looking in /etc/pve/qemu-server/vmid.conf
and just append args: -no-hpet -no-kvm-pit-reinjection at the bottom

seems to have put my clock back to normal now.

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for debug,these args will be the default for coming qemu-server packages.
(The bug is that hpet timer don't support timedrift compensation, so we need to disabled it as winvista,7,2008 use hpet).

e100:

what's is your clocksource of your old centos ?
cat /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/available_clocksource

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!