About sizing and use of Iscsi storage

t-m

Mar 27, 2012
France
Dear members,
This is my 1st post and I precise English is not my natural language. Please be kind & patient ;)

So I wil test in few days a proxmox server V2, with local storage. If my tests are positive, I would like to shape a SAN storage and manage ~10 VM. My question is about the sizing : is it better

[a]- to create a large iscsi target which will host a full virtual machine (eg 500 GB), and therefore to declare on the host (Proxmox machine) this large volume?

- or to create a smaller target (eg 20 GB) to host the virtual machine & his operating system [20Go space accessible by the host Proxmox]. And after integrate a second target iscsi (480Gb) directly from the virtual machine [without declaring it in the Proxmox host]?

[c]- or are there perhaps a cleaner solution?

I know these questions seem a bit trivial, but I prefer to ask before doing anything wrong...

Thanks a lot for your contribution.

the storage model if very flexible and you can do whatever you need to fit your needs. so there is just no perfect setup, there are many of them. iSCSI can be very different, depends on your vendor and your network capabilities.

see also http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage_Model

to get fast answers, try to ask short and easy understandable questions but before read all postings (search the forum) about these topics. I assume most of your questions will be clearer afterwards.

Thanks for your response.

I'd try to read differents postings in the forum, but most cases are about technical configuration... Often topics concern the access from the host to the target Proxmox. If I understand your response, include an iscsi target directly into the virtual machine is not a stupid idea.

I'll go back to the search section.
But if some of you have experience to share, let me know :)

Thanks for your response.

I'd try to read differents postings in the forum, but most cases are about technical configuration... Often topics concern the access from the host to the target Proxmox. If I understand your response, include an iscsi target directly into the virtual machine is not a stupid idea.

I'll go back to the search section.
But if some of you have experience to share, let me know :)
Hi,
I suggest one big volume as lvm-storage. So you have the flexibility to grow single VM-disks if you need without trouble (and without change something on the iscsi-raid).

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!