Proxmox VE as Cloud platform ?

BlackHat

Mar 14, 2012
Muscat, Oman, Oman
Hi I am new to promox VE and this form ,

I am working in my dissertation about cloud computing and a friend of mine told me about Proxmox VE , so I have some questions about it :

1. Can we use promox VE as cloud system like openstack , OpenNebula, Eucalyptus ...etc ??
  2. If No , What is the difference between cloud platforms (like openstack), and Proxmox Ve ??
  3. Can we use for example GluserFS with promox Ve to aggregate the VM's storage , and use them as a single storage block ? If no what is the alternative ?
  4. is the automatic live migration and HA supported by Promox VE ?

Thanx in advance .

Our docs in the wiki will tell you all, and read/search the forum for answers before you asked already discussed issues.

hi!

if you know well those platforms (i do not), i guess in the wiki docs you can find your answers by yourself, and an installation of the stable 1.9x or better the new 2.0 _beta_ can give you even more details and insight on what really proxmox is, after all it's easy and free!

Anyway, i try to get further. I am not an expert but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing says:
<<Cloud computing is the delivery of computing as a service rather than a product, whereby shared resources, software, and information are provided to computers and other devices as a utility (like the electricity grid) over a network (typically the Internet).[1]
Cloud computing provides computation, software applications, data access,data management and storage resources without requiring cloud users to know the location and other details of the computing infrastructure.
End users access cloud based applications through a web browser or a light weight desktop or mobile app while the business software and data are stored on servers at a remote location. Cloud application providers strive to give the same or better service and performance than if the software programs were installed locally on end-user computers.>>

so, cloud computing is a way to remotely access computers and data without even knowing their real nature or geographical location.

"cloud platforms" became so popular nowadays, because there is a (more than ever) easy way to provide this easy and cheap: virtualization environments.

PVE stands for virtualization environment, and i think it is not really a cloud platform: it has no facilities (by design) to manage "subscriptions", "on the fly" resource/space allocation, and such. It does not offer connection brokers, resource pooling, because you really don't need that for servers, those are for dynamic clients allocation and more. PVE is much more suited to servers than clients, and that by design. Of course you can virtualize any kind of computer on PVE (openvz or kvm) and you can rach those by VNC, RDP, Spice in the future, so it works like a cloud does, but it is not really made to build a cloud, even the technology is the same, in the background.

PVE has unique features, and many people prefer it to other (commercial or not) VE, and it has a grat and friendly community, which is the best for me...

I hope others will correct me, comment, add and contribute to this, in the end we could make a wiki entry.

Marco

>Can we use promox VE as cloud system like openstack , OpenNebula, Eucalyptus ...etc ??
No
>If No , What is the difference between cloud platforms (like openstack), and Proxmox Ve ?
With Proxmox you can create virtual guest machine only on specific server. On the cloud platform, you do not get attached to the cluster nodes.
>Can we use for example GluserFS with promox Ve to aggregate the VM's storage , and use them as a single storage block ? If no what is the alternative ?
Yes. alternative is the ceph rbd, sheepdog, nfs, iscsi server.
>is the automatic live migration and HA supported by Promox VE ?
yes and no, you must manually migrate guest from cluster node, HA is supported by Proxmox.

Last edited by a moderator:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!