Clustering and Supported RAID?

marco114

Dec 8, 2008
I have been playing with Proxmox now for a couple or so trying to get a grasp on everything.

On Clustering, if the master goes offline, will it affect the slaves operation? If the master completely goes out and needs to be re-built, can you still manage the slaves at a later time?

On RAID. I know soft-raid is not supported. I have tried both a RAID card that supports mirror and also a high end server board that has built-in Raid 0/1/5/10 and the Raid is never recognized, only the individual drives. Are these just cheap forms and you have to use an expensive card?

Can you please tell me what RAID cards are supported to do at least RAID-1 if not RAID 5 or 10.

Thanks
Marc

I have been playing with Proxmox now for a couple or so trying to get a grasp on everything.

On Clustering, if the master goes offline, will it affect the slaves operation? If the master completely goes out and needs to be re-built, can you still manage the slaves at a later time?

On RAID. I know soft-raid is not supported. I have tried both a RAID card that supports mirror and also a high end server board that has built-in Raid 0/1/5/10 and the Raid is never recognized, only the individual drives. Are these just cheap forms and you have to use an expensive card?

Can you please tell me what RAID cards are supported to do at least RAID-1 if not RAID 5 or 10.

Thanks
Marc

cluster: if the master is away you need to promote a slave to the new master - no problem.
(the vm´s you had on the master needs to be restored from backup)

raid: softraid and "fake" raid (integrated in bios) is not supported. you need a normal hardware raid controller (with batteries backup).

if you build a custom server I can recommend adaptec cards (e.g. adaptec 3805 or newer: adaptec 5805)

if you buy a ready to run server, I can suggest HP. just make sure that the raid controller is supported on debian etch (kernel 2.6.24).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!