Proxmox Network Problem

kirelgt

Nov 16, 2010
Hello everyone. I am presenting a problem with my network, which consists of 3 bridges. One that goes to the VM network(10.10.10.0); the one that goes to the FileSystem network(192.168.1.0); and the one that goes to the SAN Network(192.168.10.0). Every time I create a VM for some reason when I reboot the VM, it cannot be accessible because the networking service did not start or got lost. I have to login to the VM using the VNC and restart the networking service for it to work. My best guess is that I have a problem with my configuration that might be causing proxmox to not route to the right interface. Please any help will be more than appreciated.

pve-manager/1.9/6542

Here is network my configuration.
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet manual

iface eth1 inet manual

iface eth2 inet manual

iface eth3 inet manual

iface eth4 inet manual

iface eth5 inet manual

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
slaves eth0 eth1
bond_miimon 100
bond_mode active-backup

auto bond1
iface bond1 inet manual
slaves eth2 eth3
bond_miimon 100
bond_mode active-backup

auto bond2
iface bond2 inet manual
slaves eth4 eth5
bond_miimon 100
bond_mode active-backup

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 10.10.10.41
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 10.10.10.1
bridge_ports bond0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
bridge_ports bond1
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

auto vmbr2
iface vmbr2 inet manual
bridge_ports bond2
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

Thanks Hec for taking the time to answer. Well I already erase the auto eth0. On the VM side what I do is, I go to the VM in proxmox and assign vmbr0, vmbr1 and vmbr2 to the VM. The start the VM and go into the VM network configuration and put there the static information for each one the interfaces, reboot and thats it. Am I missing something?.

Yes it occurs some times when even adding only one bridge. I have not try using assigning the interface directly to the bridge as this will kill my redundancy, but I could try and see if the same problem continues or not. Do you have any knowledge that using bond causes problems similar to this one.?

Thanks Udo for your time, hey is this what you asked for, here is the configuration of one of the VM.

ostype: l26
memory: 4096
sockets: 2
name: DNS
ide2: local:iso/ubuntu-11.10-server-amd64.iso,media=cdrom
vlan0: e1000=5E:23:4A:F6:88:BD
bootdisk: scsi0
scsi0: local:101/vm-101-disk-1.raw
onboot: 0
cores: 8
vlan2: e1000=2E:B7:DB:2A:D2:F1
vlan1: e1000=72:65:5A:36:C5:11

Hi,
looks normal. If you boot the VM and you arent able to use the network (all nics?), are the nics in the VM in the right order? Mean has eth0 for vlan0 the mac-id 5E:23:4A:F6:88:BD?

Should be because you write that a simple network restart inside the VM is enough to solve the issue...

If you use on the host "tcpdump -i vmbr0 host ip.of.notworking.vm" and ping from inside the VM to outside (first pvehost, than gateway...) do you see any traffic?
Any differences between non-working and working (after network restart)?

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!