veth not working

gucki

Feb 16, 2012
Hi,

I'm using latest stable ubuntu 64 bit with latest virtualbox to run the latest stable proxmox. The network device of virtualbox is in bridged mode, promiscious mode is set to allowed.

Everything works fine but guests with a veth device - they simply cannot reach the network at all. It doesn't matter if I try to manually configure the device (ex. ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.100/24; route add default gw 192.168.0.1) or using dhcp (ex. dhclient -v eth0). It's very strange, since the dhcp client inside the guest is able to obtain an ip address from the router.

Any ideas? Should it be working? Anybody got it working?

Corin

Hey Udo,

are you sure this makes any difference? Shouldn't full blown virtualization solutions like virtualbox make no difference to the guest compared to baremetal, except for performance and special hardware devices - both things I don't need and are neither required by proxmox.

Corin

Hey Udo,

are you sure this makes any difference? Shouldn't full blown virtualization solutions like virtualbox make no difference to the guest compared to baremetal, except for performance and special hardware devices - both things I don't need and are neither required by proxmox.

Corin
Hi Corin,
esp. with bridging there is an big difference between baremetal and virtualisation. I have tried with an openvpn-server (with bridged network mode) - as VM no go and on real hardware work out of the box.

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!