Limit amount of disk space used during install ?

Z

zanflad

Hi

Can I limit the amount of disk space used during installation ?

Currently ProxMox grabs all my disks space, I want to keep some back.

the installer takes the full volume (you can specify the swap size and the size of the root partition only).

if you got a raid controller, you can just create a smaller raid volume for the installation and the rest can be used as you like after installation.

or do you run on a single disk? not recommended. in this case you need to install a basic Debian and then on top Proxmox VE.

A third way: you can change the partition layout afterwards, experts only.

the installer takes the full volume (you can specify the swap size and the size of the root partition only).

if you got a raid controller, you can just create a smaller raid volume for the installation and the rest can be used as you like after installation.

or do you run on a single disk? not recommended. in this case you need to install a basic Debian and then on top Proxmox VE.

A third way: you can change the partition layout afterwards, experts only.

Thanks I'll try booting from the smartstart CD and see what I can do from there.

failing that I will make the changes manually.

Just to bring a correction to the last post's command.

To set the maxroot for pve the enter the max size without the letter "G".

e.g. maxroot=20 (not maxroot=20G)
This will set pve root to use only 20GB.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!