8.2 has totally borked my Proxmox. GRUB timeout is 0 and I can't stop VM autostart

ilium007

Feb 25, 2020
I think my PVE issue is due to PCI passthru and I'd like to start up PVE to edit the cons file to stop the autostart so I can reconfigure. I (stupidly) had the GRUB timeout set to 0 and can't enter any sort of rescue mode to edit. I have tried booting with rescue USB but can't access any config files (found out its all stored in a DB).

It gets better.... my backups are on OpenMediaVault which was running as a VM on PVE. I haven't yet tried mounting the BTRFS mirror on those passthru drives to access the backups.

What a mess.

I mounted the OMV btrfs mirror with systemrescue and copied all the proxmox backups to an external USB drive. Looks like I am safe.

I did have all the backups in restic offsite, just glad I didn't have to restore from there.

Maybe just disable IOMMU in the motherboard BIOS so the autostart of the VM fails early?
Good idea but I've already rebuilt PVE and up and running again, sort of. This new version is causing a lot of weird issues for me. Previous install ran for over a year with no issue. I just had to go and upgrade it.....

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!