Why is all of my RAM cached in OpenVZ?

KuJoe

Sep 5, 2011
Very strange, I've never seen Linux cache 100% of the memory used. For example, out of 1024MB total RAM I have 295MB of RAM used, out of that RAM being used 295MB is cached. So in theory, my OS is not using any memory nor are any of my applications right? Why does my cached RAM in "free" always show the used RAM?

Code:
# free -m              total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:                    1024        295        728          0          0        295
-/+ buffers/cache:                    0       1024
Swap:                      0          0          0

Last edited:
But this appears to be specific to ProxMox (out of 500+ VMs, only 2 of them are experiencing this issue and those 2 are hosted by ProxMox).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!