FreeBSD hosts +FIX (hacky)

R

ranyardm

I want to run pfSense (a FreeBSD-based firewall) on my proxmox-ve server but half-way through boot it fails and shuts down.

After a fair few hours, I figured out that it was the usb tablet/usb host adapters that are causing this crash, and modifying the QemuServer.pm didn't seem to make any difference to the commandline being called.

I ended up wrapping the kvm binary (by renaming it kvm.real and calling the script kvm - don't forget to chmod +x it) in a script calling sed to remove the options - the content is as follows :
Code:
#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/kvm -id 100 -chardev socket,id=monitor,path=/var/run/qemu-server/100.mon,server,nowait -mon chardev=monitor,mode=readline -vnc unix:/var/run/qemu-server/100.vnc,x509,password -pidfile /var/run/qemu-server/100.pid -daemonize -readconfig /usr/share/qemu-server/pve-usb.cfg -device usb-tablet,bus=ehci.0,port=6 -name pfSensenew -smp sockets=1,cores=1 -cpu qemu32 -nodefaults -boot menu=on,order=cdn -vga cirrus -tdf -no-kvm -k en-us -drive file=/var/lib/vz/template/iso/pfSense-2.0-RELEASE-i386.iso,if=none,id=drive-ide2,media=cdrom,aio=native -device ide-drive,bus=ide.1,unit=0,drive=drive-ide2,id=device-ide2 -drive file=/var/lib/vz/images/100/vm-100-disk-1.vmdk,if=none,id=drive-ide0,aio=native,boot=on -device ide-drive,bus=ide.0,unit=0,drive=drive-ide0,id=device-ide0 -m 512 -netdev type=tap,id=net0,ifname=tap100i0,script=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridge -device rtl8139,romfile=,mac=1E:7C:85:84:16:3F,netdev=net0 -cpuunits 1000

--
Martyn

I was having the same problem with trying to install FreeNAS, and based on what you said I finally made it work.
Modifying /usr/share/perl5/PVE/QemuServer.pm didn't seem to make any difference, but I decided to try the mods and a reboot, and low and behold it worked. So now I guess I've disabled USB, but for now that's ok.

All I did was comment out two lines
change
Code:
push @$cmd, '-readconfig', '/usr/share/qemu-server/pve-usb.cfg';
to
Code:
#push @$cmd, '-readconfig', '/usr/share/qemu-server/pve-usb.cfg';

and
Code:
push @$cmd, '-device', 'usb-tablet,bus=ehci.0,port=6' if $tablet;
to
Code:
#push @$cmd, '-device', 'usb-tablet,bus=ehci.0,port=6' if $tablet;

reboot and my FreeNAS (FreeBSD) host works now.

Hope that helps someone else ;)

Thanks for your information!

Applying this patch my FreeBSD 8.2 guest is running without problem. :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!