64-bit containers

B

brechtverhaeghe

Hello,

I made my own 64-bit openvz contianer.

- Installed ubuntu on kvm
- with a howto made the container
(I wanted to make it to get a bit more insight in openvz)
- with ssh copied the container to the proxmox ve server
- ran it, works ok!

Now I read on this forum that it is better to run 32 bit containers. Why?
Sorry if it already was discussed i searched for over an hour on the forum and couldn't find a reason.

I was searching for something with ssh and the 6th post:

64bits images, possible ? (
multipage.gif
1 2)

That was the one I was searching for.
Thanks for the quick response.

You always find the stuff you lost or can't find when you stop searching!:rolleyes:

Keyboard problem

Hello,

It isn't a real big problem but sometimes it's frustrating:

I use a 'azerty' keyboard and on the proxmox server in commandline i set the keyboard to azerty.
In the webinterface I have to set the keyboard to English (dutch isn't in the list and wouldn't work, french doesn't work neither) and if I type in a vnc console not all keys work (luckely all important keys work now).
It has something to do with the host system sending keystrokes to the containers and kvm and I think not working with a querty keyboard gives problems.

In Xen I had the same problem, I had to set my xp installation to querty to have azerty.

Is this something you where aware?

The previous message had to be in a new thread ... sorry... :(:(

Hello,

It isn't a real big problem but sometimes it's frustrating:

I use a 'azerty' keyboard and on the proxmox server in commandline i set the keyboard to azerty.
In the webinterface I have to set the keyboard to English (dutch isn't in the list and wouldn't work, french doesn't work neither) and if I type in a vnc console not all keys work (luckely all important keys work now).
It has something to do with the host system sending keystrokes to the containers and kvm and I think not working with a querty keyboard gives problems.

In Xen I had the same problem, I had to set my xp installation to querty to have azerty.

Is this something you where aware?

can you describe in detail what you do and where is the issue? if you run full virtualized xp you always have to specify the keyboard within the guest - thats behavior by design. or do I miss something here?

which keys do not work in which situation?

well..

(This was in xen 1,5 years ago)

host -> configured azerty
guest -> configured azerty
result = something close to querty

host -> configured azerty
quest -> configured querty
result = something close to azerty

In kvm and openvz I have simular problems

If I use the template from the site it is in querty by default.
my host system is in azerty and the guest also is almost azerty.

keys that don't work:
é, §, è, ç, à, ^, £, µ, ù, ´, `,

In kvm my backslash and | (vertical line) din't work and that's frustrating but in openvz it's just the above and some key's are placed elsewhere (all special keys).
The first time I installed in kvm i chose azerty (or belgium or something) in the installation and I had lot's of problems. Searching the wright keys to insert a command ... reïnstalled the thing.

Did you configure the vnc keyboard layout on the web interface (Configuratuion/System/Options) ?

- Dietmar

It is configured as English.

If I change this to french then it's worse in kvm didn't test in openvz.
I speak dutch but I am from belgium so azerty, netherlands dutch is querty.

I will test this tomorrow morning (this afternoon I have free :D:D) and my vpn connection from home isn't configured yet.

It is configured as English.

If I change this to french then it's worse in kvm didn't test in openvz.
I speak dutch but I am from belgium so azerty, netherlands dutch is querty.

I will test this tomorrow morning (this afternoon I have free :D:D) and my vpn connection from home isn't configured yet.

For a KVM guest with french keyboard (I tested with windows xp):

1. configure your Proxmox VE to French (see Configuration/System/Options - Keyboard layout)
  2. Configure Windows XP (KVM VM) to use French keyboard layout
  3. Your Desktop also needs French keyboard layout
doing all this I got a working French keyboard layout via the VNC console.

but another question:
I did not succeed to use the "|" on the French keyboard layout on my Desktop (vista)?

I tried this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:KB_France.svg without success. whats wrong here?

If it does not work on my desktop its clear that it cannot work in the console.

Hello,

I tested several configurations on my ubuntu container.
(with dpkg-reconfigure console-data)

in the container -> belgian azerty standard keyboard
in the webinterfacfe -> dutch

in the container -> french azerty euro keyboard
in the webinterfacfe -> french

always the same keys that don't work?
even this:

in the container -> belgian azerty standard keyboard
in the webinterfacfe -> english

gives the same keys?? normal azerty with some keys not functioning.

I restarted the containers when testing, didn't restart the server.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!