Proxmox cluster on VPN

Aaiiit

Oct 7, 2011
Hi all,

We're doing research to see if Proxmox is a viable solution for our hosting infrastructure.
Really impressed so far, but we're stuck right now.

We want to run multiple hardware nodes in a cluster. Our hardware nodes are installed and working. The hardware nodes are not physically in the same network. We also don't want the proxmox webinterface to be accessible from the internet.

So we have an OpenVPN VPN in the ip range 10.1.0.0/24, with every hardware node connected to it. If we try to connect a slave hardware node to the server, it connects with the wrong ip (the public one instead of tun0).

So the question :D : How can we make sure that Proxmox/OpenVZ uses the tun0 interface?

Thanks,
Tom

The Proxmox guys don't want to support it so read it as just a tought experiment ;) But I had the same idea earlier so here's a quick comment. Proxmox uses the IP of vmbr0 for clustering, you can't change that. However, you can pull a a static IP on vmbr0 from the range of your OVPN pool. I don't really see it as a very stable solution tho. Using professional dedicated hardware to bridge geologically separated sites might be a better idea FWIW.

Yes, but a correctly configured VPN solution can carry multicast/broadcast just fine. It's an added layer of network complexity though. I wouldn't expect the Proxmox team to support it in the short run anyway.

I expect that you might get this to work if you create a bridge between the tun interface and vmbr0, and manage to set the endpoint ip on vmbr0 rather than the tun interface.

wrong. I managed to set up a cluster quite easilly with two nodes, each one having a public IP address. In fact, although the pveca binary uses the vmbr0 interface, you can change the IP address in the /etc/pve/cluster.cfg file on each server.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!