Better USB support for things like UPSs

cdsJerry

Renowned Member
Sep 12, 2011
I'd like to see Proxmox do a better job of supporting USB devices. If a USB port could easily be assigned to a VM so that the VM sees it just like it's own physical USB that would be best. A person could then plug and unplug devices into that USB port all day long and only that one VM would see the device, and the user wouldn't need a degree in computer science to us something that was designed to be plug-n-play. That would also allow for USB supported UPSs machines to shut down Windows Servers rather than have them just crash when the power runs out.

KVM 0.15 introduced complete new USB support which we implemented already in parts in 2.0. we work to make the usage of USB as easy as possible.

Maybe I'm missing something then. I'm running 1.8 and I haven't found how to get Windows to dependably see a USB device and survive reboots etc. which would be required for something like a UPS device.

why don´t you access/monitor the UPS from the Proxmox VE host?

Two reasons I don't monitor it from the Proxmox host. 1) I don't know how as I'm a Windows guy (don't hate me, I'm learning). I don't see the device anywhere in Proxmox but that could be due to lack of an installed driver for USB? And 2) because it's my understanding that Proxmox is unable to shut down a virtual Windows Server in a controlled way so the Windows side would just crash anyway.

You need to install http://packages.debian.org/lenny/apcupsd

> apt-get install apcupsd

you need to configure windows that it allows anonymous acpi shutdown (search the forum, discussed several times), then it will cleanly shutdown your windows in the case of power issues.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!