Thread: Better USB support for things like UPSs

Default Better USB support for things like UPSs

I'd like to see Proxmox do a better job of supporting USB devices. If a USB port could easily be assigned to a VM so that the VM sees it just like it's own physical USB that would be best. A person could then plug and unplug devices into that USB port all day long and only that one VM would see the device, and the user wouldn't need a degree in computer science to us something that was designed to be plug-n-play. That would also allow for USB supported UPSs machines to shut down Windows Servers rather than have them just crash when the power runs out.

Default Re: Better USB support for things like UPSs

KVM 0.15 introduced complete new USB support which we implemented already in parts in 2.0. we work to make the usage of USB as easy as possible.
    Best regards,
    Tom

Do you have already a Commercial Support Subscription? - If not, Buy now

Maybe I'm missing something then. I'm running 1.8 and I haven't found how to get Windows to dependably see a USB device and survive reboots etc. which would be required for something like a UPS device.

why donīt you access/monitor the UPS from the Proxmox VE host?
    Best regards,
    Tom

Two reasons I don't monitor it from the Proxmox host. 1) I don't know how as I'm a Windows guy (don't hate me, I'm learning). I don't see the device anywhere in Proxmox but that could be due to lack of an installed driver for USB? And 2) because it's my understanding that Proxmox is unable to shut down a virtual Windows Server in a controlled way so the Windows side would just crash anyway.

You need to install http://packages.debian.org/lenny/apcupsd

> apt-get install apcupsd

you need to configure windows that it allows anonymous acpi shutdown (search the forum, discussed several times), then it will cleanly shutdown your windows in the case of power issues.
    Best regards,
    Tom

Hi Jerry, I suppose this could be helpful: http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/USB_physical_port_mapping

Stas