Update Proxmox via Internet, but without working DNS requests

syd

Renowned Member
Feb 8, 2011
Hello all!

I have a problem with make an Internet connection work properly on my PVE. I have correct connection to the world, but DNS requests are broken. The issue is described here but no one gives an answer with some ideas. BTW, It seems that it's a problem with Proxmox, not configuration of my routers on it, bcoz I see some other issues with routing on Proxmox's KVMs. That's why a must do this update - to have a clear thoughts about PVE and routing on it.

Anyway, I can't do the update by doing it from CD. At the day it must be running and at night I have no physical access to PVE machine. So I'm wondering if good idea will be to add needed domains and its IPs to the /etc/hosts.

What do You think? Maybe can anybody lists here all require lines to do this? I mean IP and domains, which will be needed during updating via Internet.

Will be appreciate!
Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
syd

check the names it try to use on a other computer, and put them in host file.

Yep. That exactly what I was thinking about. I have to wait for night anyway.
Now I'm only wondering if will it works if on other side are virtual host on apache.

Regards&thanks,
syd

I think there are problems in the network with udp. Try an other udp service on the proxmox host like ntp. If you have the same problems let us know. Udp does not have error correction or re send packages. This functions is only implemented in the application layer. Check your network for package loss. I think you can download this with the ip adress. This sould not make any problem. But please test it before. Download one file from a mirror with wget or some other tool.

It didn't worked like that. Maybe there were some more complicated problems, not only with DNS requests. After adding three of needed hosts it wasn't able to download packets anyway, but these hanging was different that before adding lines to /etc/hosts.

Temporally I did some other network configuration to do the update and went OK. It started to work on public IP and I skipped one router on VM. But... routers were checked hundreds times and other hosts on the same "logical" (VLANs) connections works fine. IMHO, there are some issues that won't occurs with more simple network topology. I think we are speaking here about issues on lower than network layer.

@hec: I didn't saw any packed loose. I just/only diagnosed having a connection by ping and this one works well. For now I want to stay with Proxmox as clean as it is. Internet connection there isn't needed and better is even not having Internet access on it, but VMs as routers must works on this PVE anyway. I just discovered some strange behaviour with routing there and I will describe it by making new thread today.

Thanks for answering!
Regards,
syd

I didn't made it 2 days ago, but I wrote it today. It's HERE.

If any of You can look, will be nice.

Best Regards,
syd

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!