Windows 8 Dev Preview installation DVD device driver missing

hmidou

Dec 22, 2010
UAE
Hi everyone,

I was trying to install the developper preview of windows 8 on my pve server.
After I had chosen the regional format and after the setup load the files, it showed a message saying that a required CD/DVD device driver is missing and that I can load it now from a removable device... I tried both IDE and SCSI bus configurations on pve but it didn't help.

Here is a screenshot :

windows 8 installation problem.JPG

Do you know how to solve this problem ?

Sincerly,

Hmidou.

I've installed windows 8 preview developer well : i used the 64bits iso with IDE and chosed Windows Vista type.
Proxmox 1.8 btw.

post your 'pveversion -v'

Here it is:

pveversion.JPG

As you can see, I have pve 1.7.. So do you think a simple update to 1.8 or 1.9 fixes this problem ?

Best regards,

Hmidou.

I just installed the win8 preview without problems in one of our tests boxes, running 1.9.

in any case, we recommend always to use the latest stable.

Unfortunately, it didn't help... Still the same problem.. I updated my server to PVE 1.9.

So do you have any other idea about where could this problem come from ?

Faulty iso, or hardware, e.g. Memory?

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

Try using another USB flash drive. It seems that the installer does not recognize the driver for the USB stick that you are using to install the software. I had the same problem when i first installed Windows 8 (32 Bit), using a 4Gb Kingston G3 Data Traveler.

After searching for a solution from varous forums, i realized that the problem was with the driver for the device that i was using. I tried using an old 8Gb flashdrive and that solved my problem. I was able to successfully install Windows 8 Developer Preview on an hp mini 1001TU.

'Hope this helps.

I just had this problem yesterday and was able to resolve it. Something tells me there are a number of tĥings that can cause tĥis problem, but I'm fairly confident that my specific cause was an error in the ISO file. When I used firefox to download it the first time, there was an error transfer, however it didn't tell me. When I downloaded it again, and made sure that it completely finished downloading the file, it finally worked.

Check and make sure that the ISO is exactly the same size as it should be. I know it sounds crazy, but if this ISO is corrupt, or incomplete, it won't give you a relevant error. It will just tell you that there aren't any drivers on the disk that you finished burning using that ISO. At least, that was the case for me.

After downloading the ISO again, and making sure that it's exactly the size that it should be, go ahead and burn the disk. That should fix the problem.

Hi everyone,

I was trying to install the developper preview of windows 8 on my pve server.
After I had chosen the regional format and after the setup load the files, it showed a message saying that a required CD/DVD device driver is missing and that I can load it now from a removable device... I tried both IDE and SCSI bus configurations on pve but it didn't help.

Here is a screenshot :

View attachment 553

Do you know how to solve this problem ?

Sincerly,

Hmidou.

Hi friend!
It may happen that the driver required is either damaged or is not available in the system. You need to search and free driver downlaod to get rid of this error.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!