Network Question

kirelgt

Nov 16, 2010
Hello to everybody. I have a question regarding to network. Here it is.

Proxmox_1: Two NIC Cards
NIC-1 ==> Network: 172.16.0.0/24 belongs to vmbr0
NIC-2 ==> Network: 10.10.10.10/24 belongs to vmbr1
NO NIC ==> Network 192.168.1.0/24 belongs to vmbr2

Proxmox_2: Two NIC Cards

The problem is the following: """vmbr2, which does not have any active NIC associated with it""". I create two VMs. First I create a VM in Host_1 called "VM-1" which has a VirtualNIC from vmbr2 and I create a "VM-2" in Host_2 that has also a VirtualNIC from vmbr2.

The question is the following. How can I get VM-1 to communicate with VM-2 using the network from vmbr2.

Hello to everybody. I have a question regarding to network. Here it is.

Proxmox_1: Two NIC Cards

Proxmox_2: Two NIC Cards

The problem is the following: """vmbr2, which does not have any active NIC associated with it""". I create two VMs. First I create a VM in Host_1 called "VM-1" which has a VirtualNIC from vmbr2 and I create a "VM-2" in Host_2 that has also a VirtualNIC from vmbr2.

The question is the following. How can I get VM-1 to communicate with VM-2 using the network from vmbr2.
Hi,
if the VMs are on different nodes, you need a NIC (how else should the traffic came from one host to the other?). Without nic you can only use the bridge for VMs on the same host.
If you have more networks than nics you can use vlan-tagging (work well if you don't mix tagged and untagged networks on one nic).

Udo

Hi, I think the best way to achive this is to use Open vSwitch and would be nice to have it integrated in Proxmox, this way you could have VLAN spread all over the physical hosts and migrate VM without to have on every host the same NIC number and configuration.

I really appreciate your answers in this and so sorry that I could not reply before. Really the same question remains on how this VMWARE can do it. I know for sure that there should be a way in Proxmox, just need to know how to do it. Here is a picture of the way VMWARE is setup and still VM in the cFile Network that has the Network:192.168.1.0/24 can communicate with others VM in differents ESX HOSTS using the same cFile Network that do not have any NIC.
vmware.png

I really appreciate your answers in this and so sorry that I could not reply before. Really the same question remains on how this VMWARE can do it. I know for sure that there should be a way in Proxmox, just need to know how to do it. Here is a picture of the way VMWARE is setup and still VM in the cFile Network that has the Network:192.168.1.0/24 can communicate with others VM in differents ESX HOSTS using the same cFile Network that do not have any NIC.
Hi,
no that's not right - also vmware need an nic to transmit the data from one host to the other host. Look at your screenshot - all virtual networks are connected to your NICs!
I assume, they use simply different networks (IP-ranges) on the same physical network (not so good), or they tunnel the network to each host (the better way).

Udo

Do you have a switch that support vlan tagging and vlans on your network?

In my configuration, I have 3 NICs :

• eth0 for admin - configured on one IP network
  • eth1 for data (ex : drbd) - configured on an other IP network
  • eth2 for VMs networks (no ip defined on it)
  • vmbr10 bridge on eth2.10 (vlan tagging on vlan 10) associated to the VMs on this VLAN (and so, the vlan IP network)
  • vmbr20 bridge on eth2.20 (vlan tagging on vlan 20) associated to the VMs on this VLAN (and so, the vlan IP network)
  • more if you need.
This configuration is done on the web interface, no need to go in console mode.

Maybe it is a possibility for you!

Hi,
no that's not right - also vmware need an nic to transmit the data from one host to the other host. Look at your screenshot - all virtual networks are connected to your NICs!
I assume, they use simply different networks (IP-ranges) on the same physical network (not so good), or they tunnel the network to each host (the better way).

Udo

What do you mean by tunnel the network to each host. Can you point me in a direction on how can I accomplish this. Thank You for taking the time to help me out with this.

Do you have a switch that support vlan tagging and vlans on your network?

In my configuration, I have 3 NICs :

• eth0 for admin - configured on one IP network
  • eth1 for data (ex : drbd) - configured on an other IP network
  • eth2 for VMs networks (no ip defined on it)

• vmbr10 bridge on eth2.10 (vlan tagging on vlan 10) associated to the VMs on this VLAN (and so, the vlan IP network)
  • vmbr20 bridge on eth2.20 (vlan tagging on vlan 20) associated to the VMs on this VLAN (and so, the vlan IP network)
  • more if you need.
This configuration is done on the web interface, no need to go in console mode.

Maybe it is a possibility for you!

How can you not assign an IP to the interface eth2, how can you accomplish this. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

To not configure an interface with any adress, you can set it's IP to 0.0.0.0 via the web interface.

An other choice is to edit the /etc/network/interfaces file , here is an exemple with eth0, with the bridge vmbr10 on it.

Code:
 auto eth0
iface eth0 inet manual

auto vmbr10
iface vmbr10 inet manual
    bridge_ports eth0.10
    bridge_stp off
    bridge_fd 0

As you can see, the NIC eth0 has no IP configuration.

The bridge vmbr10 is a bridge on eth0.
In this example it has no IP too but you can assign an IP to it if you want to.

In my config, I just link this bridge to my VM so it is in VLAN 10, my VM is unaware about it (security bonus), and I define the IP in my VM only. This works pefectly.

What do you mean by tunnel the network to each host. Can you point me in a direction on how can I accomplish this. Thank You for taking the time to help me out with this.

You can do it using the bridge exemple I gave you sooner. Assign an IP to each bridge linked on your NIC. Then in the web interface, assign the bridge (instead of the real NIC) to the VM.
This way, all the traffic will come from one NIC and be splited to the correct bridge depending of the IP to the good VMs.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!