Proxmox and SeaBIOS additional parameters

original:xxd -i source-bin-file.bin | grep -v len | sed 's/unsigned char.*/static char SLIC[] = {/' > src/acpi-slic.hex
your:xxd -i source-bin-file.bin | grep -v len | sed 's/unsigned char.*/unsigned char SLIC[] = {/' > acpi-slic.hex
find the difference ;)

Last edited:
I'm still not able to get this working - SLIC Toolkit still shows 'DUMP ERROR (SLIC TABLE NOT FOUND)' - would the fact I'm running Proxmox 2.3 make a difference?

Here's the whole process I've followed:

1. Dump SLIC to bin using SLIC TOOLKIT
2. Convert to Hex using xxd -i source-bin-file.bin | grep -v len | sed 's/unsigned char.*/static char SLIC[] = {/' > src/acpi-slic.hex
3. Download Seabios 1.7.2 source and extract
4. Copy acpi-slic.hex to seabios/src
5. Copy acpi_slic.patch to seabios/src
6. issue 'Make' command from seabios root folder
7. Copy /out/bios.bin over /usr/share/kvm/bios.bin
8. Restart Proxmox to be sure

In SLIC Toolkit I can see what appears to be a windows XP CDKEY in 'Pkey', RSDT shows BOCHS BXPCRSDT but SLIC DUMP fails.

Any ideas?

I'm still not able to get this working - SLIC Toolkit still shows 'DUMP ERROR (SLIC TABLE NOT FOUND)' - would the fact I'm running Proxmox 2.3 make a difference?

Here's the whole process I've followed:

1. Dump SLIC to bin using SLIC TOOLKIT
2. Convert to Hex using xxd -i source-bin-file.bin | grep -v len | sed 's/unsigned char.*/static char SLIC[] = {/' > src/acpi-slic.hex
3. Download Seabios 1.7.2 source and extract
4. Copy acpi-slic.hex to seabios/src
5. Copy acpi_slic.patch to seabios/src
6. issue 'Make' command from seabios root folder
7. Copy /out/bios.bin over /usr/share/kvm/bios.bin
8. Restart Proxmox to be sure

In SLIC Toolkit I can see what appears to be a windows XP CDKEY in 'Pkey', RSDT shows BOCHS BXPCRSDT but SLIC DUMP fails.

Any ideas?

I know it is a little late to reply to this but I just did this and found the problem. You were missing the patch command between #5 and #6. You should run this command:

patch -p1 < src/acpi_slic.patch

then continue on with #6.

I know it is a little late to reply to this but I just did this and found the problem. You were missing the patch command between #5 and #6. You should run this command:

patch -p1 < src/acpi_slic.patch

then continue on with #6.

Oh, sorry, it's my mistake. I forgot this step in the description of the patch process.

Thanks for the update - works like a charm. I can see the relevant fields in SLIC Toolkit now.

It didn't have the desired effect however as I was trying to install OEM Windows XP on my promox host which is a Dell machine that has an XP Pro COA. I believe it's because these patches are for SLIC V2 which is not something windows XP uses to check whether an OEM edition can activate? Has anyone had any success with OEM Windows XP?

Oh, sorry, it's my mistake. I forgot this step in the description of the patch process.

It is all good. Thank you for documenting it to that point. I just like to make sure the complete solution is out there for others that are facing the same problem. Now I have successfully moved my windows desktop from a physical machine to a virtual. Could not have done it without your directions. Thanks again!

Is there anybody out there who was able to slic a 256k seabiosfile?
How do I force the latest Proxmox 3.2-30 to use old 128k bios.bin?
Thanks in advance.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!