New Zenoss Appliance for Proxmox VE - (Version 2.2.3)

tom

Proxmox Staff Member
Staff member
Aug 29, 2006
We just released a Zenoss Core IT Monitoring Appliance for Proxmox VE.

Details: http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Zenoss

You can download all appliances directly to your Proxmox VE via "VM Manager/Appliance Templates - Download".

About Zenoss:
Zenoss Core is an award-winning open source IT monitoring product that delivers the functionality to effectively manage the configuration, health and performance of networks, servers and applications through a single, integrated software package.

For more details see: http://www.zenoss.com

So far so good, installed perfectly and everything is working that I have tested. Thanks again!

Small error in the initial setup bits for the zenoss template:
Postfix sets $myhostname and $mydestination in main.cf to "host.domain.com.domain.com." (with period)

Small error in the initial setup bits for the zenoss template:
Postfix sets $myhostname and $mydestination in main.cf to "host.domain.com.domain.com." (with period)

No, this should not happen. What did you set as hostname? see my screenshot.

Attachments

• zenoss-hostname.png
    zenoss-hostname.png
    10.7 KB · Views: 48
first trial

well i downloaded - installed and then tried to do apt-get upgrade...
Errors out :-(

Code:
monitor:/# apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
The following packages will be upgraded:
  bind9-host cpio debconf debconf-i18n dnsutils initscripts libbind9-0 libc6
  libdns22 libgnutls13 libisc11 libisccc0 libisccfg1 libkrb53 liblwres9
  libpcre3 locales mtr-tiny perl perl-base perl-modules postfix python2.4
  python2.4-minimal sysv-rc sysvinit sysvinit-utils tzdata
28 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
FATAL -> Failed to fork.

Any ideas? is this expected? I am thinking something has gone wrong here....

Ok after a quick google, looks like the error is related to running out of memory. Perhaps give the VM more memory, I am using 512 mb mem and 512 mb swap. Or try running another session to the machine, run top, press M to sort by memory usage, the run the apt-get upgrade from another terminal and you should be able to see what process is eating up the memory.

No, this should not happen. What did you set as hostname? see my screenshot.

I used "host.domain.com" in the hostname field and "domain.com" in the DNS search domain field.

I find my FreeBSD and Linux machines tend to like it better when the system hostname is set to "host.domain.com" rather than just "host". FreeBSD's sysinstall has always for the last 14 years set kern.hostname to "host.domain.com" rather than just "host" so that's what I've always done pretty much everywhere... whatever scripting sets up the postfix main.cf probably is expecting just "host" rather than "host.domain.com" to be filled in.

ok - well gave it 4gb ram and voila - it worked.
Thank you for the pointer

looks that zenoss is quite memory hungry, maybe you can dig around in the zenoss forum how to control this.

Works like a charm, thanks guys!

I'm having problems to install the zenoss appliance on proxmox 1.6. I'm sure it worked in 1.5 tough.
Basically after installation there's no /usr/local/zenoss and there's no /etc/init.d/zen* files... seems a clean ubuntu install to me.
I tried redownloading the app and there was no change.

Any idea?

the current version is 2.5.1-1 (works here), why do you install 2.2.3?

I just used the old zenoss thread instead of opening a new one. However, I must apologize... I found my problem with the zenoss template... Actually 2.5.1 is old now as 3.0 is available.

jinger

it would make sense if you post the solution of your problem. you can take the 2.5.1 and upgrade it, you just need to run a script (see zenoss docu) before you run aptitude update/upgrade.

Sorry, the solution was obvious (and hinted already in the zenoss wiki at proxmox site).

You need to:
Code:
apt-get remove zenoss-stack

rm -fr /usr/local/zenoss

apt-get install zenoss-stack
This will pull the new 3.0.3 stack from ubuntu, after which a new install is required.

jinjer

Last edited by a moderator:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!