RAID card - proxmox boot problem

G

guedouarj

Hello,

I've recently bought this RAID card :

Digitus - SATA 150 4 channel PCI RAID - chip : Silicon Image SiL 3114

The installation was ok and it finished normally ( at 100% ).

As my screen is a 22", I can't see well the labels on the setup but I think I can see the SCSI device or not !

However, at booting it displayed :

GRUB loading - Error 2

Maybe proxmox doesn't recognize the RAID chip ? A driver needed ?

Thanks in advance !

Just found this on Silicon Image website :

Pre-compiled Linux kernels with driver support for the SiIxxxx SATA controller chips can be found on the Linux ATA development site: http://kernel.org/. You must use a kernel version of 2.4.18-14 or later to have SATA support for the SiI3x12. More recent kernel support SiI3114, SiI3124, and SiI3132. If your distribution already uses a current kernel , please use the SiIxxxx driver included with the dsitribution.

Maybe it can help ?

Last edited:
Hi,

Thank you for your reply, what do you mean by "single driver" ?

If this card doesn't work, then I will look for another one but what's the cheapest raid card which is compatible with proxmox ? I'm asking this because we don't need something really strong ( we will run like 5-6 VM ) but we need raid for backup and performances...

It will be good to make a raid cards comparability list that works with Proxmox.

Hi,

if you want performances and reliability, the cheapest card isn't a good solution.

I suppose y ou want create a raid 5 array with this card, in this case a hardware controler offer more performance and reliability than a cheapest card.

remember that your vm and your data depend on this card, you must buy a better card, it's very important.

raid is not backup, this is a common misunderstanding - these are two completely different things.

I already sent you a link to good card - if you calculate TCO over 5 years this is one of the best - you do not need to replace the BBU after few years as its flash.

Just a little precision, I just want to make a RAID 0 with 2 Raptor 150 GB.

That's why I don't a need the best raid card, just one medium-range card which is proxmox compatible...

Thx

a RAID0 with your vm and data, it's too dangerous, if one of your disk crash, you can't recover your data, do you know that ?

Yes I know it, that's why I have a NAS connected to the network that doing the backup of the VM...

The config looks like this :

2 * Raptor 150 GB for application servers and database. ( RAID 0 )
1 * 1 To HDD for mail and data storage ( no RAID )

I have to add the second HDD on proxmox as dir for VM. Of course the backup will be done.

I need RAID 0 for performances for the I/O delay is important and fast HDD are recommended. ( I don't need it for data or email )

ok i think adaptec 5805 controler card is the best choice you can do, but if you want take another card like 2820SA why not but your performance will be not the same.

The main subject isn't your environnemet, but if i was at your place, i create a raid 10 with 4 disk, performance and sécurity of your system will be better. But like Tom has said Raid is not a backup.

That's why I'm asking for the proxmox comptability before buying the card adaptec 2820SA.

just to note, the 2820SA is an old PCI-X card, 5805 are pci-e. No modern PC/Server got´s a PCI-X slot nowadays.

I finally bought the Adaptec 2405 which is pci-express, u have right Tom, the other card was too old and not compatible with my motherboard.

Thank you all for your help !

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!