VLAN with unmanaged switch

rbeede

May 19, 2011
I plan on setting up a cluster of Proxmox nodes with each node having only 1 nic.

Is it possible to setup VLANs between the nodes using a switch that is not VLAN aware? I have a simple gigabit unmanaged switch (TRENDnet TEG-S80G).

I know with VMware vCenter this can be done, but I wasn't sure about Proxmox.

Why do you want to use VLAN?
What benefits would you have with a VLAN instead of using different networks?

I will be doing internal testing of viruses and need to make sure no mis-configurations in network settings could cause the virus to leak onto other networks.

I will be doing internal testing of viruses and need to make sure no mis-configurations in network settings could cause the virus to leak onto other networks.
Hi,
for your configuration you need tagged and untagged traffic to the switch. Than depends on the switch what happens with the tagged packets - the switch don't know what to do with the packets - perhaps the packets will be broadcasted to all ports (in this case the communication can work, but makes a lot of traffic on all ports!).

Unfortunality some people have problem with mixed traffic (tagged/untagged) on pve - i don't know if anybody use it successful. I have only tagged traffic on vlan-enabled nics - this work very well.

But you can create an dummy network - this work only on one node, but better than nothing (but you can build an tunnel between the nodes ;) ).
I use following script to generate an virtual network for inter-node-communication:
Code:
modprobe -o dummy0 dummy
ifconfig dummy0 up
brctl addbr vmbr10
brctl addif vmbr10 dummy0
ifconfig vmbr10 up

Udo

Hi, I think I understand what you are asking. I've posted a similar question here: http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/5939-VLAN-Replication-From-Primary-To-Secondary?highlight=

Although I didn't follow through with my experiment, my understanding was this: You have to setup the same vlans on each physical node, and then you can support a single vlan across multiple physical hosts.

(I think this was the question you were asking. If not, please disregard my post.)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!