New Proxmox VE kernels 2.6.18, 2.6.32 and 2.6.35 released to stable

I have an Adaptec 6405 ... according to Adaptec documentation, LVM partitioning isn't supported with the 6 series cards under Debian.

Absolutely it works under debian. We had it running there with LVM, just not Proxmox. After bribing, they have kindly added support for it in the latest ISO. We are setting up a box with one now, and so far install is going smoothly. Will post results sometime tomorrow when the raid 10 is finished building.

Awesome!!!! Thank you! Can't wait to try it out!

Will post results sometime tomorrow when the raid 10 is finished building.

Update: raid initialization is complete with the 6405 with bbu/zmm, in raid 10, using 4 sasII (6Gbit/s) 10K drives

pve24:~# pveperf /var/lib/vz
CPU BOGOMIPS: 100802.43
REGEX/SECOND: 719498
HD SIZE: 969.05 GB (/dev/mapper/pve-data)
BUFFERED READS: 408.83 MB/sec
AVERAGE SEEK TIME: 5.10 ms
FSYNCS/SECOND: 1485.37
DNS EXT: 62.97 ms
DNS INT: 17.05 ms (example.com)

Not sure if the partition alignment has anything to do with the pveperf i/o results or if this is the driver, but they are lower than we expected, and significantly lower than on native debian during our tests (we had ~4K fsync/sec with 8 sasII drives. (more drives, better i/o for this card)).

Anyway, fsyncs/sec is a good 25% lower with the Adaptec 6 series compared with the adaptec 5 series, with same exact hardware configuration (results for 5 series posted above).

Last edited:
Does the 2.6.35 kernel have support for PCI_DEVICE_ID_ARECA_1880 ? (Areca ARC-1880-ix cards). From what I see we'd need to wait until .37 for main debian kernels.

Could anyone suggest a good 12 or 16-port raid card known to work well?

I've got a new Adaptec Serie 6 RAID card which is fantastic with PVE.

there are some issue with this kernel, preventing a release to stable and iso.

Tried to do a bare metal install on system with adaptec 6805. The system did not boot. Got the message "Unable to create data volume at /usr/bin/proxinstall line 570". I read on the forum what others did to get their 6805 working. I confirmed with Adaptec support that the drivers in the kernel 2.6.39 support LVM on the 6805. My question is can I install Proxmox 1.8 build 6070-5 and upgrade the kernel to 2.6.39 or should I install the driver separately on a sata HD? Thanks in advance.

"Unable to create data volume at /usr/bin/proxinstall line 570" - if disk partition >2Tb and label - gpt
Proxmox 1.8 build 6070-5 - dont support hdd >2Tb, dont use parted from create slice and dont support gpt partition

if need install Proxmox 1.8 build 6070-5 on big hdd, then install system on other sata hdd and mount raid to /var/lib/vz
or makelabel - msdos and use only 2Tb from raid... :(

Im install Proxmox 1.8 build 6070-5 on big drive:
- boot from liveCD OpenSuSe 12.1 (2.6.39) - create slice (vgcreate pve and lv - swap, root, data) and install system, install grub 2
- deleta all data from pve-root
- unpack from Proxmox 1.8 build 6070-5 iso - /usr/bin proxinstall and edit he (comment create slice and vgcreate), edited proxinstall copy to iso and burn CD
- boot from this CD and install Proxmox 1.8 build 6070-5 on system

Thanks FAN

I was not able to get system to boot with a volume larger the 2TB. I rebuild the raid 10 volume on the Adaptec 6805 and changed the size to 2TB and the Proxmox 1.8 build 6070-5 installed and utilized the 2TB volume without any trouble.

Thanks again

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!