External VNC viewer?

Does anyone know of a way to obtain some form of logging information using the vncproxy method? I would really like to be able to log connection attempts and subsequently authentication failures. Anyone have any pointers?

Is it possible to specify an interface for the vncproxy? On servers with multiple interfaces, it would be nice to only open the connection on a single interface/address.

I added this to my /etc/inetd.conf so that I can always connect to my VMs with an external viewer:
9001 stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/qm qm vncproxy 101 SecretPassword
9002 stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/qm qm vncproxy 102 SecretPassword
9003 stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/qm qm vncproxy 103 SecretPassword
9004 stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/qm qm vncproxy 104 SecretPassword
9005 stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/qm qm vncproxy 105 SecretPassword
9006 stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/qm qm vncproxy 106 SecretPassword
9007 stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/qm qm vncproxy 107 SecretPassword
9008 stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/qm qm vncproxy 108 SecretPassword

at my job we are using this setup right now, we have a promox high-availibity cluster (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-availability_cluster), meaning different ip address, my question is there a way to connect directly to the vm's,

for instance we have several win vm's if in any case one system goes down that means that whoever is connect to that vm will get timed out, because the system that takes over has a different ip address all together, so i guess

my real question is can i use a remote desktop program like krdc to connect to a windows vm using the vm's ip address and port instead of the actual proxmox machine.

windows rdp? why not. just enable on the windows side. no proxmox ve specific settings.

I added this to my /etc/inetd.conf so that I can always connect to my VMs with an external viewer:
9001 stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/qm qm vncproxy 101 SecretPassword
9002 stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/qm qm vncproxy 102 SecretPassword
9003 stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/qm qm vncproxy 103 SecretPassword
9004 stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/qm qm vncproxy 104 SecretPassword
9005 stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/qm qm vncproxy 105 SecretPassword
9006 stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/qm qm vncproxy 106 SecretPassword
9007 stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/qm qm vncproxy 107 SecretPassword
9008 stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/qm qm vncproxy 108 SecretPassword

at my job we are using this setup right now, we have a promox high-availibity cluster (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-availability_cluster), meaning different ip address, my question is there a way to connect directly to the vm's,

for instance we have several win vm's if in any case one system goes down that means that whoever is connect to that vm will get timed out, because the system that takes over has a different ip address all together, so i guess

my real question is can i use a remote desktop program like krdc to connect to a windows vm using the vm's ip address and port instead of the actual proxmox machine.

why not with proxmox? well for us it works but trying to find a better way for it to

work because we do not have a heartbeat address, each system in the cluster has a

fixed ip, so when node goes down and there are employees connected to the vm's then

there work would be interrupted. and would have to connect to the vm on the other

system where as if it were connected to the vm directly since our system takeover are

instantaneous, then they would not have any interruption.our vm's have fixed ip leases

from our dhcp servers.

Hi there,

- I wasn't able to connect over firefox to the openvnc session -> it always gave me a blank page
- I tryed safari too, it works for the moment but it didn't fit the screen size so its not really nice to work with it
- So if i tested the firefox and Internetexplorer from my Bootcamp Partition Windows 7 it always worked perfectly, also tightVnc worked without any problem

you ever found a fix for this? on how to use firefox? besides using the chicken of vnc

Thanks Clipcarl.
It works fine.
Just two remarks.
I had to restart openbsd-inetd by proxmox2:~# /etc/init.d/openbsd-inetd restart.
In a cluster you need to change /etc/inetd.conf for the vm in the node where the vm is placed and use the IP of that node!!
As a client I use Remmina on Linux Mint 8. Works like a charm!!

Peter

you ever found a fix for this? on how to use firefox? besides using the chicken of vnc

For Safari all you need to do is edit /usr/share/pve-manager/root/qemu/vnc-direct.htm and change:

$out .= "<APPLET id=vncapp CODE='VncViewer.class' ARCHIVE='/vncterm/VncViewer.jar' width=640 height=480 vspace=0 hspace=0>\n";

to $out .= "<APPLET id=vncapp CODE='VncViewer.class' ARCHIVE='/vncterm/VncViewer.jar' width=800 height=600 vspace=0 hspace=0>\n";

Then the missing line problem goes away. No idea how to fix the blank white page in Firefox.

He usado:

nc -l -p 5901 -c "/usr/sbin/qm vncproxy 101 pass"

y funciona perfecto, pero cuando configuro /etc/inetd.conf con:

5901 stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/qm qm vncproxy 101 pass

Reinicio: /etc/initd.openbsd-inetd restart

pero no conecta, el puerto está abierto con inetd:

Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State PID/Program name
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:5901 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 8149/inetd

al conectarme con vncviewer obtengo:
vncviewer 192.168.xxx.xxx:5901
Not a valid VNC server

uso la versión Proxmox VE 1.7

Gracias!!!!!!!!!!!!....

Permanent VNC server

If start a server with
Code:
[FONT=monospace]nc -l -p 5900 -c "qm vncproxy VMID PASSWORD"[/FONT]
this server close after quit from External VNC viewer.
But I need that this server work permanent, without closing.
How?

- I wasn't able to connect over firefox to the openvnc session -> it always gave me a blank page
On Linux workstations, we see similar problems. Here, they occur because we use Client certificates and the Java client has no knowledge of them. If this might be the reason in your case too, you can try:
- make sure your firefox has no expired (client other) certificates
- make sure your java control panel has NO expired (client or other) certificates and ALL your needed, if any, valid client certificates:
1. run ControlPanel, or if it is not in your PATH, something like /usr/lib/jvm/java-VERSION/jre/bin/ControlPanel;
2. go to "security" -> "certificates"
3. choose certificate type "client authentication"
4. under "user", remove expired certificates and import any existing current user certificates.

In any case I would assume it is a problem related to your Java Client and SSL.

Code:
nc -l -p 5900 -c "qm vncproxy VMID PASSWORD"

That's not working for me. The vncproxy appears to start listening on 5900 (the port is open) but after I connect the listener stops and I get

400 wrong number of arguments
qm vncproxy <vmid>

What's wrong?

I get the error:

400 wrong number of arguments
qm vncproxy <vmid>

I am using Proxmox 2.1 and I VNC Viewer client.

Please help.

Thank you.

All our command have a manual page, and can display correct syntax with:

# qm help vncproxy

(hint: you do not need to specify a password).

I'm confused. If you can't specify a password then how does this work now?

I am able to run this command:

Code:
nc -l -p 5901 -c "/usr/sbin/qm vncproxy 101"

but every time I attempt to connect with:

Code:
vncviewer hostname:5901

I get:

Code:
Connected to RFB server, using protocol version 3.8
Server did not offer supported security type

and on the server the connection just closes out without any error message...

How am I supposed to make this work without supplying a password??

do you use 2.x? if yes, you are in the wrong forum/thread.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!