Bridging a bonding interface

B

brechtverhaeghe

Hello,

I am testing Proxmox ve 0.9 Beta2.

First i have to say it is a wonderfull product!

I wanted to bond all 4 of my eth devices and bridge this. For testing I use an old switch (don't have new one for spare).
I used balance-alb because it doesn't require a special switch to use the bandwidth of the 4 eth devices together. When I start up (or somethimes after inactivity for several minutes) i can't connect to the server (ping doesn't work either). I detache all cables except one, connect to server (ping also works), reattach the cables and everything works just fine.

Could it be the switch or is their a problem with the bonding interface. Can someone test a bonding interface with two or more cards?

I wanted to make one bridge with multiple eth devices so if a container needs lots of bandwith and other containers are idle, all the bandwidth could be used by that container.

Hello,

I am testing Proxmox ve 0.9 Beta2.

First i have to say it is a wonderfull product!

I wanted to bond all 4 of my eth devices and bridge this. For testing I use an old switch (don't have new one for spare).
I used balance-alb because it doesn't require a special switch to use the bandwidth of the 4 eth devices together. When I start up (or somethimes after inactivity for several minutes) i can't connect to the server (ping doesn't work either). I detache all cables except one, connect to server (ping also works), reattach the cables and everything works just fine.

Could it be the switch or is their a problem with the bonding interface. Can someone test a bonding interface with two or more cards?

I wanted to make one bridge with multiple eth devices so if a container needs lots of bandwith and other containers are idle, all the bandwidth could be used by that container.

please try balance-tlb, is this working for you? which network cards do you have?

hello,

The two onboard ethernet adapters from hp (well a hp dl320s server) are:
Embedded NC324i PCIe Dual Port Gigabit Server Adapter
And an pci-x board with two extra Gigabit adapters from hp.

lspci shows
Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corp NetXtreme BCM5714 Gigabit...
and
Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82571EB Gigabit ...

I tried the balance-tlb and it seems to be working (not much time tonight, tomorrow I will check more detailed).

If I understand, it will be the driver (or the hardware) that doesn't (or badly) support(s) on the fly reasigning a MAC adress or the update time of my switch is faster than the udpate time of the ports ( http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/networking/bonding.txt ).

The upload will take place on one port and download on the other three ports... ok, I can live with that.

Thanks

Hi,

I also set up a bonding interface, combining all four ports of a Intel quad port GBit card.

I used balance-rr, what seems to work fine. On the first test I got messages that packkets send from any bonding member are received on the other members, what was probably caused by the switch I used for testing, since it couldn't be configured to bond ports.

But anyway it seems to work great now.

What I did was:

- first create the bond0 device, adding the eth's space separated
- add a bridge that does not use any eth's but the bond0 device

Hope that helps.

Mike

Hello,

Thank you for the replies.
For the moment I can't use a switch with bonding support (this is for the future).
The networking is working good (couldn't test the throughput but it works), using balance-tlb so my problem is solved.

Thanks.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!