Thread: Bridging a bonding interface

Default Bridging a bonding interface

Hello,

I am testing Proxmox ve 0.9 Beta2.

First i have to say it is a wonderfull product!

I wanted to bond all 4 of my eth devices and bridge this. For testing I use an old switch (don't have new one for spare).
    I used balance-alb because it doesn't require a special switch to use the bandwidth of the 4 eth devices together. When I start up (or somethimes after inactivity for several minutes) i can't connect to the server (ping doesn't work either). I detache all cables except one, connect to server (ping also works), reattach the cables and everything works just fine.

Could it be the switch or is their a problem with the bonding interface. Can someone test a bonding interface with two or more cards?

I wanted to make one bridge with multiple eth devices so if a container needs lots of bandwith and other containers are idle, all the bandwidth could be used by that container.

Quote Originally Posted by brechtverhaeghe View Post
    Hello,

I am testing Proxmox ve 0.9 Beta2.

First i have to say it is a wonderfull product!

I wanted to bond all 4 of my eth devices and bridge this. For testing I use an old switch (don't have new one for spare).
    I used balance-alb because it doesn't require a special switch to use the bandwidth of the 4 eth devices together. When I start up (or somethimes after inactivity for several minutes) i can't connect to the server (ping doesn't work either). I detache all cables except one, connect to server (ping also works), reattach the cables and everything works just fine.

Could it be the switch or is their a problem with the bonding interface. Can someone test a bonding interface with two or more cards?

I wanted to make one bridge with multiple eth devices so if a container needs lots of bandwith and other containers are idle, all the bandwidth could be used by that container.
    please try balance-tlb, is this working for you? which network cards do you have?
    Best regards,
    Tom

Do you have already a Commercial Support Subscription? - If not, Buy now

hello,

The two onboard ethernet adapters from hp (well a hp dl320s server) are:
    Embedded NC324i PCIe Dual Port Gigabit Server Adapter
    And an pci-x board with two extra Gigabit adapters from hp.

lspci shows
    Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corp NetXtreme BCM5714 Gigabit...
    and
    Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82571EB Gigabit ...

I tried the balance-tlb and it seems to be working (not much time tonight, tomorrow I will check more detailed).

If I understand, it will be the driver (or the hardware) that doesn't (or badly) support(s) on the fly reasigning a MAC adress or the update time of my switch is faster than the udpate time of the ports ( http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Docum...ng/bonding.txt ).

The upload will take place on one port and download on the other three ports... ok, I can live with that.

Thanks

Hi,

I also set up a bonding interface, combining all four ports of a Intel quad port GBit card.

I used balance-rr, what seems to work fine. On the first test I got messages that packkets send from any bonding member are received on the other members, what was probably caused by the switch I used for testing, since it couldn't be configured to bond ports.

But anyway it seems to work great now.

What I did was:

- first create the bond0 device, adding the eth's space separated
    - add a bridge that does not use any eth's but the bond0 device

Hope that helps.

Mike

Hello,

Thank you for the replies.
    For the moment I can't use a switch with bonding support (this is for the future).
    The networking is working good (couldn't test the throughput but it works), using balance-tlb so my problem is solved.

Thanks.