installing Win 2008 Server R2 on Proxmox

N

npereira

I've been trying to install server 2008 R2 on Proxmox for 3 days now and getting allways the same issue.

The issue is when the install is finish, it reboots then i change the admin password, then go to windows update and do the initial update. Once the update is installed, the system reboots and never comes back. just a blank black screen on the vnc console.

Here is my info:

proxmox:~# pveversion -v
pve-manager: 1.7-10 (pve-manager/1.7/5323)
running kernel: 2.6.32-4-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 1.7-28
pve-kernel-2.6.32-4-pve: 2.6.32-28
qemu-server: 1.1-25
pve-firmware: 1.0-9
libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-16
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.24-1pve4
vzdump: 1.2-9
vzprocps: 2.0.11-1dso2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 0.13.0-2
ksm-control-daemon: 1.0-4

Any help would be appreciated.

Have you tried resetting the VM? I've had that happen with windows xp once or twice, and after a reset it came back fine.

yes, actually this is the 4th time im re-installing fresh now. is VMDK and IDE ok for the drive?

im re-installing now, and this time im selecting 1 processor and 1 core. all the other times, I had selected dual cores and 1 socket... Maybe that's the issue. We'll see. Installing now.

vmdk is the image format...

What does win 2008 like best?

that's what I select in Proxmox as the image type. I have a choice of raw, vmdk or cqow2

still having the same problems... Doesnt matter what file format i choose, win2008 server R2 simply locaks up and cannot access the vnc console.

Ok things to try :

- Have you already configured the network ? If so, can you ping your VM ?
- What do you have configured for "Video Graphics Adapter" ?
- Can you try to boot in safe mode ?

Last edited by a moderator:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!