Can I install FreeNas on ProxMox VE ?

I

idm125

hello all

I would like to install the new FreeNas on my new Proxmox VE ver. 1.4

can I do it and how ?

thanks

Daniel

in any case, update to the latest version (1.7).

freenas? why not, but it makes no sense to run a virtualized NAS.

hello tom

thanks for the reply
I could not install 1.7 because I'm getting strange screen size
also I would like to try Freenas 8, but the thing is that it needs 2 disk configuration, I was able to upload the iso, but how do IO install a second drive or partition into the freenas on the vm ?

thanks

Hi Tom

I was trying to install 1.7 on an intel DP35DP with a 7200G3 vga card (pcie) and I was getting half screen where I could not read the text.

once going to 1.4 all worked well

any idea ?

Daniel

I would also like to try this but attach some esata disk arrays to the host and have the virtualized FreeNAS distribute files located on those. That should be doable no?

freenas is freebsd based and as far as I know there are no VIRTIO network/block driver available. virtio is quite fast on Linux Kernels so any nas distribution with current virtio drivers will be significant faster than non-virtio.

I suggest to take a look on the freebsd community and ask about virtio driver, maybe there are some news on this.

I tried an experiment with openfiler as a KVM. Mapped a NFS share on the OF to a different host. Did a large (10GB) file copy to the NFS share. Repeated this after modifying OF to use virtio net and blkio and got almost 2X performance improvement.

Actually, here is a reason a VM NAS is not crazy. If you want to serve up disk space on the host node to various clients in the form of NFS, CIFS, etc, it's handy to be able to run some appliance that has a nice GUI (I prefer OF to FreeNAS).

Hi, i have been a freenas user for a long time and started using proxmox it is the most easy to use VE i hve used IT JUST WORKS

to loving both distros i though why not put them both to gether, but i have come across a problem.

I have freenas 7.2 running on Proxmox it all works ok,ish don’t know if its my version or config. im using a Zotac 610i Mini itx with 4g ram and a HP server card. The problem I keep getting is that every 5 minutes or so it seems that the connection drops out its a pain when moving large files to it.
has any one had the same problem or have a solution?

Paul

What chipset are you using on your HP card? I have seen that kind of dropout and also controller resets albeit not with Freenas but using Debian with a Highpoint Rocket Raid 622 card with the Marvel 6GB/SATA 88SE9128 chipset. That is due to poor linux support of the chipset. Freebsd support may be better but I don't believe I tried this.

My configurations use esata connections to port multiplier based drive towers which again may be different from what you are doing but the principle should be the same.

Instead I have switched to the older Silicon Image based 3132 3GB/SATA chipset which is far more stable with no dropout due to the very good driver support. However its not a speed demon. You may be seeing a similar issue here.

First, check your syslog messages.
Second, see what your chipset on that card is and go from there.

If your rig was running good with bare metal Freenas without issues and now it has Proxmox on there with issues inside the VM, what I would do is run some copy tests from the Proxmox host itself first to see if the problem lies there also. Then you will have a better idea about what is going on.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Hi

im using a HP NC 320 T card. (im a bit stuck with the setup as it runs my home Windows AD,FS and is cheep at 55W to run)
im also using a soft raid with the freenas set ups as proxmox didn’t like my board in raid

i have had no problems runnig Freenas 7.2, openfiler, Ubuntu on Metal.
Running Proxmox i didn’t think of driver problems don’t know why just didn’t really think of it as everything runs well on it.
after using ESX, Proxmox was so easy to use and have had fun playing with it

at the moment im running Fnas 8, seems to be ok at the moment but i will look in to ship sets and compatibility of my hard were

many thanks

Paul

For clarity, your HP card seems to be a network card not a sata controller card as I had thought. So you must be using the sata controller on the mainboard. If you are not having this issue with bare metal linux installs at all what I suggested is probably not your issue.

A proper test would be to:

1. From the FN8 setup, copy a large file using samba (this is probably the issue) and then try to copy the same file using FTP. If the FTP transfer doesn't have this issue, it would be due to how the FN8 is handling samba. If they both get slow, its something else.

2. If you are able, try to scp a file from the proxmox host itself to another machine and vice versa

Report back what happens in each case.

3. Search the FN8 forums for assistance.

I also have seen file transfer slowdowns with samba such that about 400mb of a 1.5gb file transfer quickly and then there is a long pause before the transfer picks up again. This may be what you are seeing.

Hi

well it seems after a lot of stress it was the hard disk looks duff i put a 1t WD in and a 64g static and have had no problems i have moved 700g to it with no problems
and im using DAAP and SCSI Target

thank very much for your help it has been greatly appreciated

Paul

Why doesn't it make sense? If you want to use a specific package like FreeNAS, Windows Home Server, or just plain old WinXP with file-sharing turned on because of some feature that it has that you want... why not?

Why would you run a separate physical machine to just run as a NAS? You can dedicate whole hard drives to a VM so in effect you are running a virtual NAS.

If you plan out your virtual-NAS to use VIRTIO hard drives you can get really good performance out of a file server. I run a Win7 "file share server" and a WHS virtually. They work fine in my environment.

running the Storage disks as attached Physical disk you can pull it out in a system fail and through it in to a another box. recover the data or migrate to dedicated box i run 2 Proxmox server with Freenas and they mirror each other both have 2tb mirrored soft raid

I know its not an ideal set up but it works very well

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!