Single Server Network Redunancy

Mr.Embedded

Jul 8, 2008
Hi All,

My question today is if it is possible to have network redundancy at the server level with proxmox.

For example when you setup a container and your server has multiple network interfaces (also multiple bridges) you are prompted to chose the bridge to be used for routing. I am wondering if it would be possible to setup one of the other available bridges as a network failover in case the main bridge is down.

I could have a proxmox server with 2 network interfaces/bridges with each port being physically plugged into a separate switch. Then I create my vms and select the desired interface/bridge for its use. If the one of the switches die on me, then all the vms that are using the interface/bridge that is physically plugged into that switch will be effectively offline until said switch is replaced/repaired or the interface/bridge selection is manually changed in the container configuration.

But if a network failover mechanism is in place, the proxmox server would temporarily route vps traffic over the good interface/bridge so that there is zero downtime in the event of an issue like this one.

Is there any good way to do what I am suggesting?

Hi All,

My question today is if it is possible to have network redundancy at the server level with proxmox.

For example when you setup a container and your server has multiple network interfaces (also multiple bridges) you are prompted to chose the bridge to be used for routing. I am wondering if it would be possible to setup one of the other available bridges as a network failover in case the main bridge is down.

I could have a proxmox server with 2 network interfaces/bridges with each port being physically plugged into a separate switch. Then I create my vms and select the desired interface/bridge for its use. If the one of the switches die on me, then all the vms that are using the interface/bridge that is physically plugged into that switch will be effectively offline until said switch is replaced/repaired or the interface/bridge selection is manually changed in the container configuration.

But if a network failover mechanism is in place, the proxmox server would temporarily route vps traffic over the good interface/bridge so that there is zero downtime in the event of an issue like this one.

Is there any good way to do what I am suggesting?
Hi,
do you mean trunking (or bonding) like 802.1ad http://www.ieee802.org/1/pages/802.1ad.html ?

Hint: look at System/Network -> create bonding device...

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!