kvm guest restart after process killed

vargabesz

Aug 29, 2009
Hello

We had an issue with one of our KVM guests.
The virtual machine just stopped in the middle of the night, with barely no trace in the logs..

This is the only log I found that's connected to it:

Dec 12 22:54:39 vhost1 kernel: vmbr20: port 2(vmtab207i20) entering disabled state
Dec 12 22:54:39 vhost1 kernel: vmbr20: port 2(vmtab207i20) entering disabled state

(It's in /var/log/kern.log)

I also didn't find anything in the guest's log either.
I have no clue why it stopped, which is frustrating.

My question is: Is there any way to configure Proxmox so that the KVM guests, that are set to "Start at boot", are restarting after their process somehow dies? (Not just after the host restart.)

regards

Hello

We had an issue with one of our KVM guests.
The virtual machine just stopped in the middle of the night, with barely no trace in the logs..

This is the only log I found that's connected to it:

(It's in /var/log/kern.log)

I also didn't find anything in the guest's log either.
I have no clue why it stopped, which is frustrating.
no hint inside the guest?

My question is: Is there any way to configure Proxmox so that the KVM guests, that are set to "Start at boot", are restarting after their process somehow dies? (Not just after the host restart.)

regards

not in the current 1.x series. the upcoming 2.x series will introduce new HA possibilities.

Unfortunately there's nothing interesting in the guest's log either..
Hopefully it won't happen again.

Can't wait for 2.x :)

what guest do you run - settings (VMID.conf)?
your host: post your 'pveversion -v'

It's a debian 5 guest.

The host version:
pve-manager: 1.5-8 (pve-manager/1.5/4674)
running kernel: 2.6.24-9-pve
pve-kernel-2.6.24-7-pve: 2.6.24-11
pve-kernel-2.6.24-9-pve: 2.6.24-18
qemu-server: 1.1-11
pve-firmware: 1.0-3
libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-10
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.23-1pve8
vzdump: 1.2-5
vzprocps: 2.0.11-1dso2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1

I would update if I could. However there's no way to reboot that host (it's running critical servers that cannot be stopped).
I don't know where that package is. This is all the output from pveversion -v.

if you do not use all needed packages and the stable version you might get not a stable system ...

But it didn't have any problems up until this incident..
I installed Proxmox from a standard install iso, and I haven't removed any packages.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!