New Proxmox VE kernel branch 2.6.35 - with KSM support

So is it up to users' choice to use any of those 4? Will you be supporting all of them?

Unfortunately there is no perfect kernel for all our usage scenarios, therefore we have now 4 branches which is basically a lot of work to maintain.

At the end (I assume in about 2 years) we will have just one kernel supporting KVM and containers (a container technology which is integrated in the mainline Linux kernel).

The 2.6.32 branch looks like the best for the moment, therefore we use this as default. This is the kernel for Debian Squeeze, Ubuntu Lucid, RHEL6 - long term support. Unfortunately, OpenVZ support is still not feature complete and marked as stable (2.6.18 is the only stable openvz).

We have a fast growing user community just using KVM, so we try to provide a latest and greatest KVM kernel - currently the 2.6.35 branch.

Thank you for the explanation. But I think with no linux vm support = no openvz, proxmox can not be called as enterprise level or cloud computing system. For me (as a hosting provider) best would be, supporting both with; 1) a users choice or 2) supporting both with one kernel. I guess OpenVz vms are more than KVM vms, at least in hosting environments. Also clustering will be worthless with only KVM support.

So I will go for voting Keep old Kernel with OpenVZ support (2.6.24).
I read many articles about esxi vs proxmox comparisons which usually express proxmox has many reasonable options to be selected. I am afraid with this decision, proxmox may fail :(

OpenVZ team stopped already development and maintenance of the 2.6.24 branch - so this will be the first branch which will be canceled.

we provide best available OpenVZ and KVM to our users, so what do you mean if you post that our "decision" is wrong??

I think proxmox is a great OS with ONLY OpenVZ and KVM support, making it with only KVM support with no ability creating Linux guests (if I do not understand wrong) makes its popularity very low.

It is very obvious that many users do not want to lose OpenVZ support after reading posts in survey.

Again, we support the OpenVZ and KVM, see http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Proxmox_VE_Kernel.

KVM only users are a the faster growing part. Big "out-of-tree" patches like OpenVZ are not the future - just see the Xen/KVM history.

Please correct me if I am wrong and sorry for giving you headache but with KSM, users will only be able to create windows guests? How about linux guest virtualization then? In poll, options are clear, one with openvz support and second no openvz support. From there, I understand that with KSM, linux vm is not possible. Or do I miss something here?

So why people in poll thread prefer OpenVZ? If I can manage both guest then it is ok for me.
Also what is the plan in future then with KSM? More important to me, I mean currently 2.6.35 has no Openvz but how to create Linux guests then?

So why people in poll thread prefer OpenVZ? If I can manage both guest then it is ok for me.
Also what is the plan in future then with KSM? More important to me, I mean currently 2.6.35 has no Openvz but how to create Linux guests then?

I understand your curiosity but please at least try to research some information on your own instead of wasting valuable time with somewhat unrelated questions.

As Tom stated earlier:
"We have now four different kernel branches, see http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Proxmox_VE_Kernel"

What people prefer and what is the best to use really differs from each scenario, for some tasks X is better and for other usage Y is better. There are lots of different scenarios for virtualization and one of the beauties of Proxmox is giving different options to chose from.

As previously stated you CAN install Linux in a KVM, noone has said otherwise.

You are right. But there might be more people like me who does not read enough and thinks KVM does not support linux guests. Anyway I learnt at the end. Thank for simple but explanatory anwser.

Yet another problem with 2.6.35 - this time with emulex HBA. Upon bootup my storage volumes are not visible. With 2.6.32 it works flawlessly. I can see some errors in lpfc module on the console:

Screen shot 2010-10-07 at 10.54.39 AM.png

Yet another problem with 2.6.35 - this time with emulex HBA. Upon bootup my storage volumes are not visible. With 2.6.32 it works flawlessly. I can see some errors in lpfc module on the console:

You installed the latest firmware package? If not, do

# ftp://download.proxmox.com/debian/dists/lenny/pvetest/binary-amd64/pve-firmware_1.0-9_all.deb
# dpkg -i pve-firmware_1.0-9_all.deb

and the update the initrd image

# update-initramfs -u

Does that help? Does it clompali about any missing firmware file?

Regenaration of initrd does not help. Errors do not show any missing firmware either.

The only info I found about these errors is says that I should upgrade firmware on my HBAs (which is not true as I am running the latest firmware possible).

I've checked the following hardware platforms - the error appears on both of theml:

1. IBM HS22 Blade Emulex 8GB FC
2. HP BL460C Blade Emulex 8GB FC

If I can have one more feature request: set CONFIG_BLK_CGROUP=y in next release. I would like to test/make use of this and having it enabled in default pve kernel would make my life easier. It should not have any side effects on other users.

Unfortunately, the upgraded kernel (pve-kernel-2.6.35-1-pve_2.6.35-2_amd64.deb) does not solve the problem. Still get the same erro.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!