Proxmox with 2 NICs on 2 different subnets - workable?

hefferbub

Sep 11, 2010
I have a 1.6 server with 2 NICs. One is attached to a 192.168.240.0/22 subnet and one is attached to a 192.168.48.0/22 subnet. I want to be able to have my VMs appear on one or the other of these subnets. I have configured the first interface through the Proxmox ISO installer and the second with the web interface. The second shows up as interface: "

eth1yes

Is that feasible with Proxmox? Can anyone explain the general approach to how this should be configured and work? I am not super-familiar with all the nuances of Linux ifconfig, but I can research the details if someone can explain the general way it should work.

If there is documentation for this, I apologize, but I could not find it.

Thanks,

Jeff

You can do this. The key thing to understand is that you don't have to give the host an IP on all of the physical NIC if you don't want to.

Code:
# network interface settings
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet manual

iface eth1 inet manual

iface eth2 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address  192.168.48.10
        netmask  255.255.255.0
        gateway  192.168.48.1
        bridge_ports eth0
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
        bridge_ports eth1
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0

In this example your Proxmox host will respond on IP 192.168.48.10. Any guests needing to talk on the 192.168.48.x LAN segment can use vmbr0. Guests needing the second LAN can have their virtual NIC bonded with vmbr1 and assigned an IP on the 192.168.240.x subnet.

Last edited by a moderator:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!