Renowned Member
Oct 15, 2008
Hi.
I installed a KVM virtual machine with Windows XP SP3 installed on it
with all updates from Windows Update.
I setted up an USB device from the host machine to be used on the
virtual machine with the command

qm set 107 -hostusb 2040:7070

The USB device is an Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T Stick DVB-T USB adapter.

Windows recognises the hardware and correctly install its drivers, but
when I try to use it (for example tuning some channels) I get the
following Blue Screen Of Death:

Code:
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
*** STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x048C4C04, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0xBA392FD3)
*** usbuhci.sys - Address BA392FD3 base at BA390000, DateStamp 480254ce
Windows' Minudump files tell that the problem is from the usbuhci.sys driver.

I'm using Proxmox VE 1.6 (the latest and up to date version) with the 2.6.32-2-pve
kernel version.

Do you have any hint?

Thank you very much for your help!
Bye.

Hi jcanodk,

That is very interesting!.
Can you elaborate more please?
I looked into installing the server package on my pve-server but it seems that it need to be compiled for the actual kernel right?
What package do I need in order to compile it for my pve kernel? (2.6.32-4-pve)
Is it possible to use the windows client with a Windows Server 2008 x64?

Kind regards

Jcanodk, thank you very much for your help!
I succesfully installed USB Server on PVE and shared my USB TV tuner, I connected it on the Windows XP virtual machine, it recognises the device but it cannot load it.
I wrote on the USB Server forum and I'm waiting to be answered.
I hope I will be able to solve this problem...

Thank you very much!
Bye.

Jcanodk, thank you very much for your help!
I succesfully installed USB Server on PVE and shared my USB TV tuner, I connected it on the Windows XP virtual machine, it recognises the device but it cannot load it.
I wrote on the USB Server forum and I'm waiting to be answered.
I hope I will be able to solve this problem...

Thank you very much!
Bye.

Have you made it work?

Hello,

today i have installed the USB server successful on proxmox pvetest but i can´t see any usb devices on the Windows XP client.

Anyone has successful work it with the latest pvetest? On my productiv server i don´t won´t install it. Firewalls are all offline.

Regards, valle

Code:
pve-manager: 1.6-2 (pve-manager/1.6/5087)
running kernel: 2.6.32-4-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 1.6-19
pve-kernel-2.6.32-4-pve: 2.6.32-19
pve-kernel-2.6.24-12-pve: 2.6.24-25
qemu-server: 1.1-18
pve-firmware: 1.0-8
libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-14
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.24-1pve4
vzdump: 1.2-7
vzprocps: 2.0.11-1dso2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 0.12.5-1
ksm-control-daemon: 1.0-4

Well, they won't appear by magic :)
Once you've installed the usb-server and configured which usb devices to share, you need to install a client on your, well client. You can get usb-redirector lite from the same site.

Take care-

Hello jcanodk,

thanx for fast reply. One question bevor magic ... i have read the f*ck*ng manual ... but where can i configure the device to share?!

Hello ressel,

i have it got working. Looks like that produtct isnt free and we have problemes with pve-kernel-2.6.32. With pve-kernel-2.6.32 the usb connect will lost most time. Same issue with a hardware belkin usb server that works wonderful under pve-kernel-2.6.18 and pve-kernel-2.6.24

Regards, Valle

Hello,

I did add the disc as /dev/sdd in the host file, and its working really good, and gives pretty good performance, next test is to add it same way but as esata instead of usb.

This may be a bit much but how hard would it be for the proxmox team to allow the user community to download compiled binaries for the usb-server as they do by the update method using apt-get upgrade adding usb-server as a component? I know its a great education for all of us to gather the sources and edit configuration files and compile the sources...but

usb support for KVM will be better soon (later this year, hopefully). If you need help with the usb-server think of contacting IncentivesPro as its their product.

Is there any advance in this topic?
I mean, are there any news for "usb support for KVM"?
The wiki about usb for kvm is older than tom's comment: "usb support for KVM will be better soon (later this year, hopefully)"

I am looking for an easy way to access usb devices connected on proxmox host from a Windows KVM.

Thanks!

try latest 2.0 (still beta/rc)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!