where are the vm files?

J

joec22

Where are the files associated with kvm vms and configs? I've created a vm with 2 hard disks on an LVM storage type, but I can't locate where this is mounted. The storage is a 6TB partition created by gpt on /dev/sdb1. When I search by vmid, I only find 2 tiny byte files located in /dev/mapper/.

Thanks

Where are the files associated with kvm vms and configs? I've created a vm with 2 hard disks on an LVM storage type, but I can't locate where this is mounted. The storage is a 6TB partition created by gpt on /dev/sdb1. When I search by vmid, I only find 2 tiny byte files located in /dev/mapper/.

Thanks
Hi,
try
Code:
vgdisplay
lvdisplay
and you will find your disks...

Udo

Yes, but I can't do anything with an lv, like copy the raw disk files or config to another server. I also can't see the config file. I can only access once I do a backup.

Maybe there is no need? Or is it advisable to use a different storage method?

Yes, but I can't do anything with an lv, like copy the raw disk files or config to another server. I also can't see the config file. I can only access once I do a backup.

Maybe there is no need? Or is it advisable to use a different storage method?

Hi,
why not?
the content of the logical volume is the raw-disk like your harddisk at your home-pc. Therefore you can also copy (dd if=/dev/vgname/vm-122-disk-1 of=/backup/disk-122.raw bs=1024k) the lv.

The config of the vm is on the same place: /etc/qemu-server/

Udo

Thank you. Is there a better storage method than what I've described?

Performance, manageability, simplicity, I'm not sure, guess that's why I'm asking the question.

manageability, simplicity, I'm not sure, guess that's why I'm asking the question.

I think it's an awkward feeling going from a more traditional filesystem-based path structure- where it's possible to browse the contents via GUI like Filezilla for example, to a LVM group storage where the contents are more-less 'hidden' to someone not knowing how to browse the contents of LV-based storage. It's a different animal.

It's worth getting used to though IMO, so as to not have the additional overhead of yet another filesystem management layer eating away at CPU cycles.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!