Can you use snapshots without using LVM?

joolsr

Jun 23, 2010
Hi

I'm confused. In a few places in the docs and forums its said that you have to use LVM to be able to use Snapshots for backups without any downtime.

But I have a normal storage directory rather than LVM on the local hard disk, and it appears to store snapshots without any downtime on the server. The backups appear fine, and the logs don't show any issues either. I havent tried a test restore as yet, but if the GUI will let you do something and no warnings are given you're normally thinking that it should be ok to do this.

Using 1.5 with KVM VM's. I can attach server log if that would be helpful

Julian

we use LVM as default partitioning and therefore we can use LVM snapshots for backup (vzdump).

so what do you mean with "I have a normal storage directory rather than LVM on the local hard disk"?

how did you install Proxmox VE? the bare-metal installer configures LVM automatically.

Screenshot-Proxmox Virtual Environment - Mozilla Firefox.png
Thanks for your quick reply. I was using KVM and virt-manager but found too many bugs and a lack of help on the forums.

I've attached a screenshot so you can see what i mean

If by default std storage is using LVM thats fine, but as you can add storage specifically as LVM too, thats what I thought i had to do
pencil.png

View attachment 278
Thanks for your quick reply. I was using KVM and virt-manager but found too many bugs and a lack of help on the forums.

I've attached a screenshot so you can see what i mean

If by default std storage is using LVM thats fine, but as you can add storage specifically as LVM too, thats what I thought i had to do

so you added LVM storage, give all details about this storage (test)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!