insserv squeeze unbootable system

bread-baker

Mar 6, 2010
Hello
I have not gotten to the bottom of this problem - but wanted to post as a warming to others.

we have 3 Debian Squeeze containers. they were running fine for a month until I tried a restart [to test high avail failover]] .

all 3 would not boot.
this was in /var/lib/vz/private/550/var/log/init.log :
Code:
starting init logger
INIT: version 2.88 booting
stty: standard input: Invalid argument
Using makefile-style concurrent boot in runlevel S.
tcgetattr: Invalid argument
INIT: Entering runlevel: 2
Using makefile-style concurrent boot in runlevel 2.
INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel
INIT: Switching to runlevel: 0
Using makefile-style concurrent boot in runlevel 0.
checking /var/lib/vz/private/550/var/log/syslog I found:
Code:
May 29 21:29:59 squeeze-template cron-apt: (Reading database ... 17288 files and directories currently installed.)
May 29 21:29:59 squeeze-template cron-apt: Preparing to replace insserv 1.12.0-14 (using .../insserv_1.14.0-2_i386.deb) ...
May 29 21:29:59 squeeze-template cron-apt: Unpacking replacement insserv ...
May 29 21:29:59 squeeze-template cron-apt: Processing triggers for man-db ...
May 29 21:29:59 squeeze-template cron-apt: Setting up insserv (1.14.0-2) ...
May 29 21:29:59 squeeze-template cron-apt: Installing new version of config file /etc/insserv.conf ...
May 29 21:29:59 squeeze-template cron-apt: (Reading database ... 17288 files and directories currently installed.)
May 29 21:29:59 squeeze-template cron-apt: Preparing to replace sysv-rc 2.87dsf-10 (using .../sysv-rc_2.88dsf-5_all.deb) ...
May 29 21:29:59 squeeze-template cron-apt: Unpacking replacement sysv-rc ...
May 29 21:29:59 squeeze-template cron-apt: Setting up sysv-rc (2.88dsf-5) ...
May 29 21:29:59 squeeze-template cron-apt: Preparing to replace initscripts 2.87dsf-10 (using .../initscripts_2.88dsf-5_i386.deb) ...
May 29 21:29:59 squeeze-template cron-apt: Unpacking replacement initscripts ...
May 29 21:29:59 squeeze-template cron-apt: Setting up initscripts (2.88dsf-5) ...
May 29 21:29:59 squeeze-template cron-apt: Installing new version of config file /etc/init.d/bootlogd ...
May 29 21:29:59 squeeze-template cron-apt: Installing new version of config file /etc/init.d/bootlogs ...
May 29 21:29:59 squeeze-template cron-apt: insserv: warning: script is corrupt or invalid: /etc/init.d/../rc6.d/K00vzreboot
May 29 21:29:59 squeeze-template cron-apt: insserv: warning: script is corrupt or invalid: /etc/init.d/../rc6.d/S00vzreboot
May 29 21:29:59 squeeze-template cron-apt: insserv: warning: script is corrupt or invalid: /etc/init.d/../rc6.d/K00vzreboot
May 29 21:29:59 squeeze-template cron-apt: insserv: warning: script is corrupt or invalid: /etc/init.d/../rc6.d/S00vzreboot
So I think our un bootable containers were caused by using insserv

vzlist shows the container stuck at 2 processes in each case:
Code:
      CTID      NPROC STATUS    IP_ADDR         HOSTNAME
       550          2 running   10.100.100.164  squeeze-template.fantinibakery.com

Last edited:
I did more testing

1-restored working squeeze template
2-ran aptitude dist-upgrade
3-that displayed same warnings/errors as above
4-rebooted
5-container did not work.

so
1-restore good backup squeeze
2- aptitude remove insserv - which switched the system to use file-rc
3-reboot
4-ok
5-aptitude dist upgrade
6-reboot
7-ok

so insserv has something to do with the problem.
looks like I'll get used to using file-rc . it looks a lot easier to manage then all the symlinks :

Code:
squeeze-template: ~ # aptitude show file-rc
Package: file-rc
State: installed
Automatically installed: yes
Version: 0.8.12
Priority: extra
Section: admin
Maintainer: file-rc maintainers <file-rc-users@lists.alioth.debian.org>
Uncompressed Size: 184k
Conflicts: ash (< 0.3.5-1)
Replaces: sysv-rc, sysvinit (< 2.85-3)
Description: Alternative boot mechanism using a single configuration file
 This package provides an alternative mechanism to boot the system, to shut it down and to change runlevels.  The /etc/rc?.d/* links will be converted into one single
 configuration file /etc/runlevel.conf instead, which is easier to administrate than symlinks, and is also more flexible. 

The package will automatically convert your existing symlinks into the file method on installation, and convert the file back into symlinks on removal. Both mechanisms are
 compatible through /etc/init.d/rc, /etc/init.d/rcS, /usr/sbin/update-rc.d, and /usr/sbin/invoke-rc.d scripts.

Last edited:
I did more testing to make sure that the problem was not with our template.
1-d/l Debian 6.0 (standard) Proxmox Support Team template.
2-make a new container , then start it
3-
Code:
aptitude update 
apitude dist-upgrade
4-restart container

the result was the same.

I did more testing to make sure that the problem was not with our template.
1-d/l Debian 6.0 (standard) Proxmox Support Team template.
2-make a new container , then start it
3-
Code:
aptitude update 
apitude dist-upgrade
4-restart container

the result was the same.

I can confirm this!
After switching to file-rc everything is working again... thank you for this hint.

- Flo.

we just released new debian squeece templates with file-rc installed (run 'pveam update' to force reload of the appliance list)

to fix current Debian Sqeeze containers, you just need to install file-rc package manually - shutdown and start again.
(manually means you need to move the file-rc package to the private area of the container and then you need to install it with dpkg)

How does this affect new appliances being built using DAB and squeeze base?
The same error still pops up in any such template built using DAB / squeeze:
Code:
insserv: warning: script is corrupt or invalid: /etc/init.d/../rc6.d/K00vzreboot
The said S00vzreboot file has the line:
Code:
>/reboot
instead of
Code:
./reboot

file-rc

Alternative boot mechanism using a single configuration file

Description:This package provides an alternative mechanism to boot the system, to shut it down and to change runlevels. The /etc/rc?.d/* links will be converted into one single configuration file /etc/runlevel.conf instead, which is easier to administrate than symlinks, and is also more flexible. The package will automatically convert your existing symlinks into the file method on installation, and convert the file back into symlinks on removal. Both mechanisms are compatible through /etc/init.d/rc, /etc/init.d/rcS, /usr/sbin/update-rc.d, and /usr/sbin/invoke-rc.d scripts.

Last edited:
IOt seems like this issue is fixed.

we have switched all our openvz from rc-file back to sysv-rc . so I did this in 15 containers 2 weeks ago and have not had a problem with reboots etc:

aptitude install sysv-rc insserv

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!