4 Node Proxmox Cluster and CEPH

Jun 15, 2021
Dear all,

Greetings to this fantastic community.

I have a 3-node Ceph cluster with four NVMe OSD on each node and a dedicated 40gbit/s network for Ceph.

PVE1: 4 osd + mon + mgr (active)
PVE2: 4 osd + mon + mgr (stand by)
PVE3: 4 osd + mon + mgr (stand by)

I want to add the 4th node and install Ceph, too.

I read that the number of Ceph monitors should be odd.

I am considering installing Ceph on a 4th node with 4 OSDs, but without a monitor or manager. Is this a viable configuration?

Best regards,
Jorge

Yes, you can do that and I'd recommend keeping 3 MONs and MGRs.

Please keep in mind that if you lose one server, Ceph will immediately recover the missing objects on one of the remaining nodes. that leads to a higher storage usage and can lead to full OSDs.

It depends on your goal:

- if you want to get more usable disk space, add a fifth server or add some more storage to the first three.
- if you want to get self-healing in case one of your servers fail, 4 servers does this.

Reactions: UdoB

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!