Migration from VMWare

alevene

Apr 29, 2010
I have found that migration servers running under ESXi to be a tedious procedure. Unfortunately, neither VMware or Proxmox at the host level supports external USB drives.

It would be trivial to copy closed files from VMware to Proxmox and run a conversion utility, but I haven't found a way yet. Is there one?

Can anyone answer these specific questions -

What is the easiest method to move and convert closed Linux servers operating under ESXi? Moving Windows Servers is easy; just use an image copier CD to boot under the OS and make a image copy, NFS it out of VMWare and restore under Proxmox. I've yet to find a version that works properly with a Linux server.

Is there a way to actually connect a USB or eSATA drive that is usable for copying files to and from?

Finally, is there a single utility that will convert the VMWare files to Proxmox configuration?

Thanks,

Hi,
to convert linux-server should be easy:
shut down linux-vm
scp the flatfile to proxmox (e.g. /vmfs/volumes/4a127bd2-722e2425-810f-00144f9e8e9b/fileserver1/fileserver1-flat.vmdk)
On Proxmox create a new node with same (or little bit greater) disk (raw).
cp the flat-file (the raw disk image) to the diskfile (with dd if you use lvm).
Start the vm.
Correct inside the vm the network-settings (module/udev-rule)...

It's depends on your distribution how painless it's run.

Look before at the wiki http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Migration_of_servers_to_Proxmox_VE
there is all discribed!

Udo

Thanks for the quick answer. Is there an instruction missing, to convert the VMware .vmdk file to the .raw format?

I used Fast SCP to move the single file to the Proxmox box as I could get the correct syntax for scp or cp. Can you let me know what it is?

Thanks again,

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!