Proxmox host name? How to change

tdemeyer

Oct 2, 2007
Hi,

Mails to certain servers get rejected:

<xxx@yyy.be>: host mx1.yyy.be[111.222.333.444] said: 450
<dmz1.ourdomain.be>: Helo command rejected: Host not found (in reply to RCPT TO command)

I suppose the reason for this is that our dns enties do not contain "dmz1" as a valid name.
How can I change this in proxmox (so I can put e.g. mx.oudomain.be, wich is known in DNS)

Hi,

Mails to certain servers get rejected:

<xxx@yyy.be>: host mx1.yyy.be[111.222.333.444] said: 450
<dmz1.ourdomain.be>: Helo command rejected: Host not found (in reply to RCPT TO command)

I suppose the reason for this is that our dns enties do not contain "dmz1" as a valid name.
How can I change this in proxmox (so I can put e.g. mx.oudomain.be, wich is known in DNS)

the hostname can be change via admin gui.
but you also should take a look on the postfix settings, see /etc/postfix/main.cf

The weird fact is that the name displayed in the GUI differs from the name that we get in reject message ??!!

its not weird, just read my message.

the mailserver configuration (postfix) is done automatically during installation. but if you change later the hostname, the postfix configuration does not change (most time not wanted).
=> see /etc/postfix/main.cf

and finally, check your DNS.

Hi
I changed a hostname via the GUI - well - the apache now complains:

[warn] RSA server certificate CommonName (CN) `xxx.kapper.net' does NOT match server name!?

in other words it seems the /etc/pve/pve-ssl.pem cert seems to need changing here - right?

Is there a way to do this the sane way for proxmox?

regards
hk

well - done that - it changed the cert to the FQDN of this host, anyway, apache still complains:

[Tue Jun 15 09:50:06 2010] [warn] RSA server certificate CommonName (CN) `xxx.kapper.net' does NOT match server name!?

well - done that - it changed the cert to the FQDN of this host, anyway, apache still complains:

[Tue Jun 15 09:50:06 2010] [warn] RSA server certificate CommonName (CN) `xxx.kapper.net' does NOT match server name!?

Oh, you talk about the apache warning - I guess you can simply ignore that. (By default we set 'ServerName' to 'localhost' in /etc/apache2/sites-available/pve.conf)

Forget tge following, i see that

pvecert --force

is doing just the same .... (If only i searched for it abiy more ;-) )

rob
------------
if you want you can regenerate the apache server certificate with the right hostname;
see [1] for details (in Italian)
Basically, it is an ad-hoc opennsl configuration plus a simple script.

Tell me if you need more directions.

rob

[1] http://www.linuxtrent.it/documentaz...0-rigenerare-il-certificato-di-un-virtualizza

Last edited:
Any equivalent for Proxmox VE 3.0?
A procedure to clone a Proxmox VE 3.0 install and change the hostname would be useful.

What are the parameters used to generate the SSL certs and where all do they reside?
Located /etc/pve and /etc/pve/priv folders containing some.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!