OpenVPN

J

jncnath

This would be a great addition to your library. I've spent a weekend trying to install it with no luck. There is a write up by Martin Lanner that is of tremendous help.

OpenVPN is not really free - do not get misled by the "Open" in the name.

Quote from their Pricing page:

FREE License Key

We provide free license keys to anyone who registers on OpenVPN.net. The free license keys is designed to get you up and running and will activate (2) Clients. The Free license key is fully functional and does not expire. If you don't need more than 2 concurrent connections there is no cost.

Click here for your free license key or here to Register

The entire OpenVPN site has two separate sections - Community and OpenVPN Access Server. Nowhere on their site do they state the differences between the two. If the difference is only on the level of support, then it is okay. But if the code is different or with proprietary enhancements not in the community version, then it should be stated as such.

Seeing if there is still interest from the Proxmox community RE OpenVPN. As several commented there are two versions of OpenVPN: (1) OpenVPN Community Edition (GPL 2) and (2) OpenVPN Access Server Enterprise Edition.

Please vote +1 in your reply if you want OpenVPN

As I understand it, OpenVPN is free for anybody to use - the OpenVPN Access Server (which I have purchased) is a separate product which provides a management GUI for creating VPN bundles that clients can download and install. For example, I have it connected to my LDAP server so anybody can now login and download a pre-built executable that connects them to the networks I have configured.

They are two separate things - OpenVPN is open-source, OpenVPN Access Server is a commercial "add on" which provides management capabilities. Well worth it BTW - $50 for 10 concurrent users. And their support is second to none - I had to re-install my machine and needed to re-activate the license key - within minutes they had answered my email and sent out a new license key.

Forgot to say - I installed it as a KVM machine with out any issue what-so-ever.....

Hello all,

I thought I would clear a few things up for you:

1. We do have a comparison chart between OpenVPN Community Edition and OpenVPN Access Server, you can look at it here:

http://openvpn.net/index.php/access...envpn-community-and-enterprise-editions-.html

2. OpenVPN Access Server was developed with easier management, better scalability, and better performance in mind. We are not trying to mislead anyone with our current site setup and apologize if there is any confusion.

3. The issues many of you are running into with the installation and configuration of Access Server in Proxmox is the OpenVZ counterpart, there are no extra steps to be taken when using KVM. Because of the way OpenVPN Access Server is developed (it heavily relies on iptables), you will need to change some settings and allow access to certain modules to get it to work properly in an OpenVZ environment.

This article explains what changes need to be made to your OpenVZ setup:

http://openvpn.net/index.php/access...-to-run-access-server-on-a-vps-container.html

(These steps were actually written up an tested on a machine using Proxmox, if done correctly it will work)

4. As far as our pricing goes: we try to be very reasonable. When compared to other paid VPN solutions we are very inexpensive. There has been ALOT of development that has gone into making this a stable, enterprise ready product.

5. You are obviously free to choose between the two different softwares, however, there have been a lot of performance enhancements in OpenVPN Access Server, it isn't just OpenVPN with a GUI. Unlike the OSS (Community) version we have Multi-daemon mode which allows OpenVPN-AS to take advantage of multiple cores, Server-locked profiles, DMZ mode and much more.

If the Proxmox developers have any additional questions (or the users) please don't hesitate to send me a pm.

Kind regards,

Andrew Proctor
OpenVPN Technologies, Inc.

Reactions: UnsoberDev
Just to clear up any confusion about the open source status of OpenVPN...

The OpenVPN core is strictly GPL v2, and has been licensed as such since the OpenVPN project was started in 2002.

The Access Server is a closed-source, commercially-supported management application that runs on top of the standard OpenVPN core and controls it via the published OpenVPN Management Interface.

The Access Server development team strictly adheres to the principle of keeping the Access Server code at "arms length" from the core OpenVPN code. That means only controlling OpenVPN via public interfaces, and using the same OpenVPN core implementation that is made available to the public under the GPL v2.

James Yonan
OpenVPN Technologies

If you want an easy OpenVPN server with a nice GUI: We use a PFSense KVM apliance. It also has IPsec and pptp vpn, firewall, routing...

PFSense rocks - I used to use it a lot but then ran into one or two issues with lots of NIC cards. Then I used ebox which ran into another issue where it didn't allow more than one named host with the same name (i.e. a.some.domain clashed with a.some.other.domain).

In the end I use vyatta and OpenVPN AS. Vyatta takes a bit of getting used to, but it has a rather nice DSL in a single config file which describes everything. Edit away and then load it up and off you go. It also has a nice command line with auto-completion for the vyatta config. Bulk adding lots of different hosts (which I need to do quite often) is very very simple using vi/nano/emacs/sed whatever :)

(not affiliated with any of them)

Ive create a two OpenVPN Proxmox templates. Bassically you create the CT and then run 3 scripts to create keys and such. After you run the 3 scripts you should have a working OpenVPN server.

Two versions, one version creates configs for clients that are actually servers(ie.remote PBXs). The other version creates client configs that will require a username and password to login (ie. remote laptops).

The project can be found here.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!