Cluster Question

drwho

Apr 6, 2010
I have set up two nodes with a third PC providing shared iSCSI using OpenFiler.

Generally I am very impressed with Proxmox, having looked at Virtualbox, Xen, Xenserver, Oracle VM, "raw" KVM. It very nearly provides exactly what I want in a very neat package.

I would like HA, but understand that is on its way.

Just a couple of questions:

I'm finding that migrating a VM to the other node is slow. I didn't do any timings, but it didn't seem much faster with shared storage than with VM hosted on local node.

Also, I tried pulling the network on a node and then migrating a VM from that node to the remaining "live" node; my thinking being that if the VM is hosted on shared storage then that should work. But it failed because the original host node was unavailable.

I would be interested to know if these observations are as expected because I assumed the cluster would provide a benifit in each case...

Many thanks,

I have set up two nodes with a third PC providing shared iSCSI using OpenFiler.

Generally I am very impressed with Proxmox, having looked at Virtualbox, Xen, Xenserver, Oracle VM, "raw" KVM. It very nearly provides exactly what I want in a very neat package.

I would like HA, but understand that is on its way.

Just a couple of questions:

I'm finding that migrating a VM to the other node is slow. I didn't do any timings, but it didn't seem much faster with shared storage than with VM hosted on local node.

Also, I tried pulling the network on a node and then migrating a VM from that node to the remaining "live" node; my thinking being that if the VM is hosted on shared storage then that should work. But it failed because the original host node was unavailable.

I would be interested to know if these observations are as expected because I assumed the cluster would provide a benifit in each case...

Many thanks,
Hi,
at this time the cluster is not ha - it stands more for spread the vms over diffrent nodes.
If you want to start the nodes also on survived nodes, you murt recreate the config-file (for kvm they are below /etc/qemu-server). Just rsync them to a backup-place on the other node and you are get your vm in a short time back.
For my case, the migrating between two nodes are not slow. It's depends on your externel storage (e.g. fast FC-Raids...) and how busy your VM are. With very busy VM it takes some times longer to sync the memory.

Udo

I am curious - when I make a cluster it spends some time syncing - in which case what is it that gets synchronised?

Can I do anything with DRBD to improve resiliance?

What I am trying to achieve is the ability to manually restart a VM on the remaining server with the most recent state in the event of a hardware failure.

Is anything known on the timeline for HA? - maybe I should wait...

I am curious - when I make a cluster it spends some time syncing - in which case what is it that gets synchronised?
The most data of syncing are the templates (openvz) and iso-images.
Can I do anything with DRBD to improve resiliance?
Of course, your data are more safe, like on a single-controller external raid. But you must (at this time) manualy sync your config.

What I am trying to achieve is the ability to manually restart a VM on the remaining server with the most recent state in the event of a hardware failure.

Is anything known on the timeline for HA? - maybe I should wait...
Yes there is a timeline respectivily a roadmap http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Roadmap. The developer wrote about a first beta in this summer (if i remember right).

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!