Removal of iSCSI disk causes system to hang

jhammer

Dec 21, 2009
I removed a disk on an iSCSI server before removing the associated VM and storage from Proxmox. Now the system is hanging. The web interface hangs indefinitely. pvesm list -a hangs. pvscan and vgscan also hang. multipath still lists the associated multipath device.

I was able to logout of and remove the iscsi nodes using the following commands (at least I got no errors and the target was no longer listed):

Code:
iscsiadm -m node -T [targetname] --logout
iscsiadm -m node -T [targetname] --op=delete
But everything is still having issues.

Is it possible to tell proxmox and the underlying system to 'forget' about the deleted iscsi disk without rebooting?

By the way, I manually removed the entry from /etc/pve/storage.cfg. I also removed the vm config from /etc/qemu-server. It had no effect. Is there a service I need to restart to get those to be re-read?

Thank you. I wasn't aware of the lsscsi and addscsi commands. Those are really helpful.

I found the following steps to work well in a multipath environment:

1. Shutdown VM
  2. Either remove VM, or remove that disk from the VM (under 'Hardware' tab).
  3. Remove the relate LVM volume from the Storage section in the Proxmox interface.
  4. Obtain the name of the volume group using vgdisplay
  5. vgremove [VolumeGroupName]
  6. Obtain the physical volume name using pvdisplay
  7. pvremove [PhysicalVolume]
  8. Obtain the name of the multipath device via multipath -ll
  9. Remove the multipath device using this: multipath -f [multipathDeviceName]
  10. Run the iscsiadm -m node and identify the correct target name
  11. Logout of all sessions pertaining to that iscsi target: iscsiadm -m node -T [targetName] --logout
  12. Delete all iscsi nodes pertaining to that iscsi target: iscsiadm -m node -T targetName --op=delete
  13. Use lsscsi to verify that there are no remaining devices associated with that multipath iscsi target (go back to results obtained earlier from multipath -ll for list of associated devices)
  14. Remove iscsi target from iscsi server

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!