Not being able to add ISCSI target

E

eedoh

Hi to all.

I did not find answer to my problem on the forum, neither on web in general, so I'm asking it here.

I set up ISCSI target on FreeNAS and tried to add it in PVE 1.5, but with no success. When I try to scan I get the message

HTML:
Error: command '/usr/bin/iscsiadm --mode discovery --type sendtargets --portal 10.0.0.3:3260' failed with exit code 255

I've tested my target on ESX and it seem to be working perfectly well. I even tried with openfiler, but with no success.

Can anybody help??

Yeah, it's installed already.

I even tried
HTML:
iscsiadm -m discovery -t sendtargets --portal 10.0.0.3 --port 3260
from console

but I get
HTML:
iscsiadm: cannot make connection to 0.0.12.188:3260 (101)
iscsiadm: connection to discovery address 0.0.12.188 failed
iscsiadm: connection login retries (reopen_max) 5 exceeded
Although this is not the address I supplied. Btw, Sometimes I get the same message but with correct address.

I tried adding target manually by supplying target id (both, from web interface and from console), but unsuccessfully. I get it listed, but no info about it is avaliable, nor I can use it.

This whole situation looks really weird :S:S:S:S

Last edited by a moderator:
weird indeed...
could you please list
Code:
# ls /etc/iscsi/nodes/
# ls /etc/iscsi/send_targets/

Now there's no nodes. I deleted ones that I added manually and they were not working
HTML:
ls /etc/iscsi/nodes/
ls: cannot access /etc/iscsi/nodes/: No such file or directory

This second address is from before I changed the addresses of the machines included in this (two proxmox nodes and storage)
HTML:
ls /etc/iscsi/send_targets/
10.0.0.3,3260  192.168.100.203,3260

Btw, both Proxmox nodes behave exactly the same...

HTML:
#grep address /etc/iscsi/send_targets/*/st_config

/etc/iscsi/send_targets/10.0.0.3,3260/st_config:discovery.sendtargets.address = 10.0.0.3
/etc/iscsi/send_targets/192.168.100.203,3260/st_config:discovery.sendtargets.address = 192.168.100.203

and what if we try :
Code:
# rm -Rf /etc/iscsi/nodes ; rm -Rf /etc/iscsi/send_targets ; /etc/init.d/open-iscsi restart
# iscsiadm -m discovery -t st -p 10.10.0.3

Last edited:
Well these two addresses are the two that I used so far. First I tried with 192.168.100.203 for storage and 201, 202 for PVE machines. Later I isolated these three machines in separate logical network, so I'd avoid eventual conflicts with other running machines in the network...

In both cases I tried scanning for targets and adding them manually, but both times I got the same result :(

If You're asking for 0.0.12.188 that I get error messages for, that is out of my league. I have no similar addresses in the network, nor I ever specified this one in configuration :S:S:S:S. I really don't get how this could happen.

No problem, these are not production machines. It's not problem that we experiment, even with removing nodes, etc. Here are the results:

HTML:
#proxmox1:~# /etc/init.d/open-iscsi restart
Disconnecting iSCSI targets:.
Stopping iSCSI initiator service:.
Starting iSCSI initiator service: iscsid.
Setting up iSCSI targets:
iscsiadm: No records found!
Mounting network filesystems:.

HTML:
# iscsiadm -m discovery -t st -p 10.0.0.3
iscsiadm: cannot make connection to 10.0.0.3:3260 (111)
iscsiadm: connection to discovery address 10.0.0.3 failed

Now, this is weird too :S. I tried pinging 10.0.0.3, and it passes, I get the response, so this address is not unreachable

let's try with a debug
Code:
# iscsiadm -d 3 -m discovery -t st -p 10.0.0.3

if you need more verbosity : -d 5

I don't see anything unusual, or abnormal...

HTML:
# iscsiadm -d 5 -m discovery -t st -p 10.0.0.3         
iscsiadm: ip 10.0.0.3, port 3260, tgpt -1                        
iscsiadm: Max file limits 1024 1024                              

iscsiadm: starting sendtargets discovery, address 10.0.0.3:3260,
iscsiadm: sendtargets discovery to 10.0.0.3:3260 using isid 0x00023d000000
iscsiadm: discovery timeouts: login 15, reopen_cnt 5, auth 45.
iscsiadm: connecting to 10.0.0.3:3260
iscsiadm: cannot make connection to 10.0.0.3:3260 (111)
iscsiadm: connection to discovery address 10.0.0.3 failed
iscsiadm: disconnecting conn 0x637038, fd 3
iscsiadm: discovery session to 10.0.0.3:3260 sleeping for 1 seconds before next login attempt

Yeah, I am. I even succeeded adding it to ESX with no authentication. Here's the screen shot of the configuration...auth..JPG

auth is set to auto...
what about if set to none?

did you succeed to connect from another linux machine via open-iscsi?

There's no "none" option. Only "auto", "chap" and "mutual chap"

No did not try that, but I'm gonna now. I'm already installing older version of PVE on other machine (still have this one, in case we get to something :D). If I'm unsuccessful, I'll try from ubuntu or something.

Hm, I installed 1.4 and it worked out of the box :S.

However, there's a catch. I couldn't install 1.5 directly on these two (not identical) machines (trying to build cluster with these machines and storage connected via ISCSI), I was getting black screen on beginning of installation. So I installed 1.4 instead and then I did upgrade to 1.5.

Now I blame that upgrade process for not functioning ISCSI. Maybe I should report this as a bug somewhere.

Also, I don't get why I was not able to complete 1.5 installation on neither machine (black screen). Maybe this is something to report also?

Anyway, thanks a lot, both of You (dietmar and whinpo), for Your help.

If I can help solving these issues, I'd be willing to cooperate.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!