Virtual Console?

Jasio

Feb 18, 2010
Canada
Hello,

I watched the video for Proxmox where KVM was used to install Windows in a virtual environment and VNC was launched to later access and configure the Windows installation.

Is the vnc client integrated into the client web portal? And while the video showed a Windows ISO being mounted, can this be done with Linux? I am asking this because I would like something similar to VMWare ESXi's console - this allows me to mount a Linux ISO (ie. Gentoo) and then launch a graphical interface from where I can go through the setup of Gentoo step-by-step on my own. My biggest gripe with certain VPS management systems is the lack of this ability; most rely on packaging pre-made templates but that does not equal "full" customization; some users simply want the freedom of mounting an ISO and installing from scratch.

Is this something Proxmox can accommodate? Looking at Xen, OpenVZ, KVM; would be it best to use KVM for this type of environment (a mix of Windows/Linux VM's on a single server)?

Thanks.

Hello,

I watched the video for Proxmox where KVM was used to install Windows in a virtual environment and VNC was launched to later access and configure the Windows installation.

Is the vnc client integrated into the client web portal?

yes (you just need java browser plugin installed - on Linux, install sun-java6-plugin)

And while the video showed a Windows ISO being mounted, can this be done with Linux? I am asking this because I would like something similar to VMWare ESXi's console - this allows me to mount a Linux ISO (ie. Gentoo) and then launch a graphical interface from where I can go through the setup of Gentoo step-by-step on my own. My biggest gripe with certain VPS management systems is the lack of this ability; most rely on packaging pre-made templates but that does not equal "full" customization; some users simply want the freedom of mounting an ISO and installing from scratch.

Is this something Proxmox can accommodate? Looking at Xen, OpenVZ, KVM; would be it best to use KVM for this type of environment (a mix of Windows/Linux VM's on a single server)?

Thanks.

yes, just try it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!